Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5,348Posts
    • 11,004Thanks
    iammumtoone
    gift for someone you don't know
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    gift for someone you don't know 3rd Dec 17 at 5:55 PM
    I want to give someone a gift who I pay for a service, they provide a good service so want to get a small gift this at christmas.

Trouble is I don't know them so no idea what to get. Even wine or chocolates I don't know if they drink or could be on a diet!

Any suggestions budget £10 max

Thanks
Page 2
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 3rd Dec 17, 9:32 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Iíve lost count of the times Iíve been offloaded with somebody elseís unwanted wine. Iím sure you got a thanks whenever youíve given it as a gift - doesnít mean that it hasnít joined the heap of unwanted gifts in the cupboard under the stairs though.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Even if people don't enjoy an occasional glass of wine themselves (and it is just before Christmas) they can always take it to a party or when they visit friends for a meal. I wouldn't describe that as "offloading"it.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 3,504 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    It really is the thought that counts.

As you don't really know the person, you need to go with the usual mainstream options. Most people would appreciate a bottle of wine, or a box of chocolates, a bunch of flowers or a plant. And even if they don't drink, or whatever, they will still appreciate the thought.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 3rd Dec 17, 9:53 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Iíve lost count of the times Iíve been offloaded with somebody elseís unwanted wine. Iím sure you got a thanks whenever youíve given it as a gift - doesnít mean that it hasnít joined the heap of unwanted gifts in the cupboard under the stairs though.
    Eh

Iíd never give someone an unwanted bottle of wine. Iíd buy a decent one.

Of course if your friends/acquaintances take a different approach....
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 4th Dec 17, 12:32 AM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 7,021 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I know gift cards and their disadvantages have already been discussed. However I know some people who have been bought a Costa gift card and that seems like an easy gift. Most people will pop into a coffee shop, there are plenty of them around so generally people don't have to go out of their way, and there's no stress about what to buy with the gift card that's the correct value as coffee shops are full of low value items.

Otherwise a Yankee candle will either be appreciated or easily regifted.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Dec 17, 7:13 AM
    • 19,702 Posts
    • 31,851 Thanks
    Spendless
    And do you drink it? If you do it means it has been appreciated by someone else. If you don't then why accept it from the off loader 'that's really kind of you, but I've already got loads/don't like that brand'. At the very least it could be donated to some fundraising group for a raffle prize and then at least turns in to raising money.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 4th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 8,749 Posts
    • 54,255 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic

Sounds like you're complaining
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • tealady
    • By tealady 4th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    tealady
    Personally if someone gave me a nice card with cash in it I would be delighted.
    It would mean I could do whatever I wanted rather than have to appreciative for something that isn't me.
    Many years ago I was very hard up so cash at Christmas was greatly appreciated, tbh I often ending up regifting or selling stuff to try to keep within my budget,
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 5th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Eh

Iíd never give someone an unwanted bottle of wine. Iíd buy a decent one.

Of course if your friends/acquaintances take a different approach....
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    If you gave me wine it would be unwanted. Cheap, or expensive it does not matter as I do not like wine.

No matter how much you paid for it I would give it away anyway.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 18,553 Posts
    • 47,759 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I know gift cards and their disadvantages have already been discussed. However I know some people who have been bought a Costa gift card and that seems like an easy gift. Most people will pop into a coffee shop, there are plenty of them around so generally people don't have to go out of their way, and there's no stress about what to buy with the gift card that's the correct value as coffee shops are full of low value items.
    Originally posted by Kynthia
    And that's something that for me would be wasted.
    I don't go into any of these coffee shops.

It just goes to show what a nightmare it is buying gifts for someone you don't know well.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 05-12-2017 at 9:50 AM.
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 5th Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 7,749 Thanks
    Top Girl
    On the flip side, if you gave me wine, it would never be unwanted. I'd save it until Top Baby is born now, obviously, but red and white can always be cooked with.

However, I have sensitive skin and you'd be lucky to stumble across a bath set I could use.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 5th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    NeilCr
    If you gave me wine it would be unwanted. Cheap, or expensive it does not matter as I do not like wine.

No matter how much you paid for it I would give it away anyway.
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    But, of course, youíd appreciate the gesture wouldnít you? The use of the word unwanted in my post was in response to the suggestion that the gift of wine would be a cast off from me.

If I knew you well then, clearly, I wouldnít give you wine. In the circumstances outlined in the OP where it would appear that the eating/drinking habits of the person they are thinking of giving a present to are unknown then it becomes more difficult to judge.
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 5th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 8,005 Thanks
    KiKi
    People have sometimes bought me a bottle of wine as a thank you for things I've volunteered for. I don't drink, but I'm grateful for the thought - and it means I can take it to parties I'm invited to where we're asked to bring a bottle, or I can regift it.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 5th Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    engineer amy
    a few of my friends are very involved in a few local charities and organise fundraising nights/quizzes etc during which they hold ballots or tombola style giveaways. They always ask for donations for these and I gladly provide any gifts that I have been given and wont use. Things like bottles of port/sherry that I cant stand, boxed gift sets of toiletries (im quite fussy about scents) etc.
    Im usually able to donate a full shopping bag of stuff and look quite generous in doing so - in my head im clearing out clutter that I wont use, and hopefully raising funds for a worthwhile cause at the same time. So no gift is truly unwanted, it may just be not used by the intended recipient!
    Mortgage = £113,495 (May 2009) £85559.64 Oct 2016
    Halifax CC 0% = £0!!! Car Loan = £0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 5th Dec 17, 3:30 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    I don't drink alcohol but wouldn't object to being given a bottle of something- my family might drink it, I do cook with wine and I am always having to find donations for school events so having something already in would mean it was a much appreciated gift. Actually I would appreciate the thought behind any gift unless it was horribly expensive in which case it is better to know exactly what the recipient would like.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,346Posts Today

8,115Users online

Martin's Twitter