Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 3rd Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 190Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Spend less now, work less later...
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    Spend less now, work less later... 3rd Dec 17 at 5:31 PM
    Hello!
    I知 starting this diary with two loans to clear (as well as a mammoth mortgage- but I値l worry about that later!). I知 not a massive spender but I知 not hugely careful either and I could clear my debts much quicker than I will at the moment if I put my mind to it and stopped deciding that my money would be better spent on another meal out...
    I live with my wonderful husband and would love to start a family next year. However, I知 very aware that when I have children, I will want to be at home as much as possible which at the moment would be very difficult as we rely on my full time wages to help service our pretty big outgoings.
    So the plan is to spend less, pay off our debts, and ultimately get to work less when we have a family.
    Wish me luck!
Page 4
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 10th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Thanks both of you! I’m pleased that you agree about the card... it’s reassuring to know that I’m not the only one to think it’s a good idea!
    Chrystal, thanks for telling me I’m doing well- it makes me feel even more determined!
    Csarina2, well done for paying off all of your debt! Did you work out how much interest you saved by switching?
    • Regency1
    • By Regency1 17th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Regency1
    Hi ETA,

I've just read through your diary and you sound really focused and determined to get rid of the debt. I'm glad you feel like your husband is getting to where you are on this as it would be really tough if you were trying your hardest to change the future for you both as a couple if he wasn't at least trying!

I think that the incentive of having time more time off work if you have a baby is a good one. It's what has really made me think about the amount I'm spending.

I think our situations are also similar because food is what takes a lot of the money in our household too! My husband is a big guy and always hungry but he likes good food and is a really good cook. There are definite advantages to this as I get lovely meals made for me and I'm a terrible cook, however, he does spend a lot on ingredients that sometimes don't get used up, and I have to do the amazing amounts of washing up that he generates! Still, I wouldn't be without him and you must have got a terrible scare when your husband wasn't well.

I wish you all the best with paying down the debts - I'm sure with your determination you will get there in no time. I'll subscribe to keep up with your journey!
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 17th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Thanks Regency! I completely agree that the thought of starting a family as soon as possible is really motivating! I just need to stop myself from spending hours on Pinterest mentally spending money on baby stuff before I’ve even got any money put aside for maternity leave!!

My DH is a brilliant cook too! I justify the food spend at the minute by thinking about how much money we’re saving by eating his home cooked food rather than a restaurant’s food which I probably wouldn’t even prefer!

My payslip came up online today and all the backdated pay is there! I’m so pleased- I just can’t wait for Friday now! It will be a tough month for keeping in budget next month as it’s a five weeker but I’m determined that we’ll make it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,166Posts Today

9,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin