Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boroboy1234
    • By boroboy1234 3rd Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    boroboy1234
    Car Allowance and BIK
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    Car Allowance and BIK 3rd Dec 17 at 4:35 PM
    Hi

Need some help and advice.

I receive a car allowance through work and use it to lease a car through a lease company at work. (Lex) . I also pay BIK through my tax code and have two questions , a) is this right in essence I feel I have the worst of both worlds, b) in terms of BIK does this mean you start paying the 20% and 40% rate earlier?

Also looking for advice as my lease is coming to an end and I am looking to save a bit of money

Cheers
    Last edited by boroboy1234; 03-12-2017 at 4:41 PM.
Page 1
    • Rustypail
    • By Rustypail 6th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rustypail
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    Double taxed
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    Either this is completely wrong or your company car scheme is more complicated. If you provide the car without assistance from the company, then it cannot be a company car, so no BIK is due. A car allowance is taxed as salary, and is largely up to you how it is spent.
    Part b. The Car BIK is treated as the top slice of income so could be partly taxed at 20% and partly at 40% if it takes you over the threshold.
    Look at comcar.co.uk for detailed calculations
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter