Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joe_Davies
    • By Joe_Davies 3rd Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joe_Davies
    V5C Document Missing.
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    V5C Document Missing. 3rd Dec 17 at 4:25 PM
    I've just recently noticed that I have not received my V5C registartion document back from the DVLA. I'm new to driving and car ownership so I've never had to go through the process before. I brought my sisters old car from her in January after passing my test, I filled out the V5C document and put in the post the following week, around the end of January this year. From around February my fathers health deteriorated, with him being in and out of Hospital until he died in August. I've only recently noticed that I did not receive the document back in the post, as I've started to look at buying a newer car. I know the right thing to do is to ring the DVLA and tell them about what has happened, they'll probably tell me to purchase another Registration Document but would I be able to write the date that I actually purchased the car on,( which would be the 24th January 2017) as it could invalidate my car insurance if they won't allow me to write the date I purchased the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 3rd Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    Did your sister send off her part of the V5C?

Why would it invalidate your insurance?
    • Joe_Davies
    • By Joe_Davies 3rd Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joe_Davies
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    We both filled our parts out and I posted them together, which was something I shouldn't have done, as its been lost in the post. I just thought that it may invalidate my insurance as I'm not the registered keeper of the car, but you're right they'd never know. I'll ring them tomorrow morning and see what they say.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,468 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    Did you tax the car?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 3rd Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    We both filled our parts out and I posted them together, which was something I shouldn't have done, as its been lost in the post. I just thought that it may invalidate my insurance as I'm not the registered keeper of the car, but you're right they'd never know. I'll ring them tomorrow morning and see what they say.
    Originally posted by Joe_Davies
    You only send one part of the V5C to DVLA to transfer keepership...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter