Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jcuurthht
    • By jcuurthht 3rd Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jcuurthht
    Savings for single occupant pensioner
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    Savings for single occupant pensioner 3rd Dec 17 at 4:14 PM
    Recently my father passed away, leaving my 66 year mum living alone.

I've spent the last 3 weeks sorting the funeral and estate.

While my mum was on the phone to British Gas, they mentioned because she was over 62 and living alone, she may be entitled to some sort of benefit (not winter allowance from the Pension Service).

I'm wondering what other money saving options are available to pensioners living alone. My Dad has left her very comfortable, but savings are always welcome.

I already know about single occupancy coucil tax.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 3rd Dec 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:22 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:22 PM
    I don't know of anything re Utilities but Council Tax 25% reduction, ??
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • cranford
    • By cranford 3rd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    cranford
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    If she is not already on a Water meter you should look into this for her.
    see
    https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/prs_lft_101117meters.pdf
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 8,617 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    Many authorities contact you saying you may be eligible, but it's rarely the case unless you are on 'benefits' other than pension.
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    Pension Credit?
    Presumably she already gets free bus travel, free prescriptions, discounted rail travel with a Senior Railcard...
    If she has certain disabilities, then some home improvements/mobility aids can be obtained without the VAT. For example, my mum was registered blind and got a new shower fitted VAT-free.
    I'd second a water meter too.
    Last edited by macman; 05-12-2017 at 8:59 AM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 4th Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 9,943 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    Living alone gets very little in extras bar council tax .
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 4th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    There is the Warm Home Discount worth £140 off the electric bill. Eligibility changed recently but you need to get the guarantee credit element of pension credit and you re on a low income.
    A lot of the smaller suppliers don t supply this but all of the big 6 do
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 8,617 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    Another for water meters. We are in our late 60s and saved a lot by having a meter fitted (after years of being convinced that the only saving was in fresh water charges and not sewage and drainage).

We ran for the first 6 months on an estimated monthly charge, much lower than we had been paying, based on assumed saving. However, even this was too much as we now pay just £3/month until we use up the surplus payments.
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Joyful
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    HouseMartin

The guarantee element of Pension Credit is only for Core customers. Anyone else with an income of less than £16190 can apply. They may be on state pension, disabled, fuel poverty, child under 5, These categories may qualify under the broader Group.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 8th Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Recently my father passed away, leaving my 66 year mum living alone.

I've spent the last 3 weeks sorting the funeral and estate.

While my mum was on the phone to British Gas, they mentioned because she was over 62 and living alone, she may be entitled to some sort of benefit (not winter allowance from the Pension Service).

I'm wondering what other money saving options are available to pensioners living alone. My Dad has left her very comfortable, but savings are always welcome.

I already know about single occupancy coucil tax.

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by jcuurthht
    The two main ways of saving money on utilities for lone occupants who are low energy users are (1) a water meter and (2) a low or zero standing charge. I say "who are low energy users" because energy deals with a low or zero standing charge have a higher per unit rate.

One service which is aimed more at welfare than cost is the Priority Services Register. The two services which I personally think are most relevant are advance notice of disruption to services and meter reading where suppliers who usually require a customer reading will send a meter reader for every bill and not estimate it.

The energy company should offer the PSR but if they don't ask for it but you don't have to accept PSR registration if you don't want to.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/priority-services-register-people-need
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

4,200Users online

Martin's Twitter