Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thejungles
    • By thejungles 3rd Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    thejungles
    food for work
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    food for work 3rd Dec 17 at 3:36 PM
    Hello all

Im trying to become debt free and one quite big bill i have at the end of the month is from the sandwich shop next to where i work, they allow tabs and we pay on payday, my tab ranges from £80 to £160 a month depending on the amount of weeks between payday and the food i get.

im planning on knocking this on the head and preparing my own meals/lunches at home and im looking for some nice cheap alternatives and tips.

i know i can cook up larger portions on a night and take the remains into work but to be honest im not clued up on how long certain foods last once cooked so im wondering on what you guys do to save money.
Page 1
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 3rd Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    I always just make a sandwich to take to work, and buy a box of shredded wheat/cornflakes which I put a handful into a tupperware box, than pay 95p for an small box at my work canteen.

What you can do is batch cook things like soup on your days off. Separate into portions and freeze. Defrost them in the fridge the night before you take them to work. If you have a microwave at work, pre-cook a jacket potato at home, reheat the next day. The only issue with reheating is meat, which should only be cooked twice.
    • thejungles
    • By thejungles 3rd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thejungles
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    how long would a soup last in the freezer, call me an idiot but it should be months shouldnt it? haha
    • Mee
    • By Mee 3rd Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Mee
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    Hi newbie,

Good luck in you endeavour. Would recommend reading some of the good websites/pages which can be found via Google.

Pasta goes a long way, and investing in a good flask to bring in your own hot soup may be worth considering.
    I tend to buy discounted fruit for my lunch, or discounted baked rolls from supermarkets (Waitrose; M&S and Asda are often the cheapest) on my way home for the next day.

I also try to eat a hearty breakfast so I'm not tempted to buy for lunch.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 3rd Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 5,892 Posts
    • 10,915 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    how long would a soup last in the freezer, call me an idiot but it should be months shouldnt it? haha
    Originally posted by thejungles
    Things in the freezer are essentially frozen in time, most things will last years if in an air tight container.
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 3rd Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    barbarawright
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    If you don't want to make sandwiches every morning and have a fridge at work then just buy a loaf, butter, cheese/ham/cucumber/whatever you like and some fruit maybe a package of crisps from the Poundshop and you can make lunch every day as you fancy it for about £1 a day
    • elsien
    • By elsien 3rd Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 15,420 Posts
    • 38,717 Thanks
    elsien
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    I've just eaten a soup I made and froze 12 months ago and I've not poisoned myself. When you see on frozen food packets the recommendation to use within a month (or whatever) it doesn't mean that you can't eat it after that, just that sometimes after a while in the freezer the texture might change.
    If you do a search, there was a similar query not long back which might give you more ideas. Have a look on the oldstyle bit of the forum.

Edit - here you go for a start

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5617322&highlight=lunches

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5726482&highlight=lunches
    Last edited by elsien; 03-12-2017 at 5:41 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 3rd Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    I used to make my sons sandwiches every Sunday & freeze them. Pop some in a box everything morning with bag crisps (out of multipack) & a piece of fruit. Nicely defrosted by lunchtime
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 3rd Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    This suggestion added to pasta or chicken (which I've done today).
    Evening meal and lunch in one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73441523&postcount=21

Freeze the rest for other meals.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 3rd Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 5,159 Thanks
    -taff
    Have a look on the old style board, plenty of replies there if you post the same query
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 4th Dec 17, 7:34 AM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    Tarambor
    , my tab ranges from £80 to £160 a month depending on the amount of weeks between payday and the food i get.
    I take a packup with a sandwich, some grapes, a banana, sometimes a scotch egg and a bag of crisps and it costs me less than a quid. Without the scotch egg its 68p. Sometimes I'll take a tin of the beef soup from Lidl which is OTTOMH around 60-70p.

Spending over £1000 a year on work lunches is madness. ONS figures have household expenditure for food shopping in the UK at £56 a week for a family, you're spending between 40-80% of that just on work lunches just for yourself. No wonder they run a tab.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 4th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 10,448 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    thejungles what facilities if any are available at work? Fridge? Freezer? Kettle? Microwave? Toaster? Hob? Grill? Oven?

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 4th Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 54,293 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    What type of items do you get from the sandwich shop?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Gazzafatcityboy
    • By Gazzafatcityboy 4th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Gazzafatcityboy
    What type of food do you like to eat? Then see if you can make it yourself?
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 4th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Hello all

Im trying to become debt free and one quite big bill i have at the end of the month is from the sandwich shop next to where i work, they allow tabs and we pay on payday, my tab ranges from £80 to £160 a month depending on the amount of weeks between payday and the food i get.

im planning on knocking this on the head and preparing my own meals/lunches at home and im looking for some nice cheap alternatives and tips.

i know i can cook up larger portions on a night and take the remains into work but to be honest im not clued up on how long certain foods last once cooked so im wondering on what you guys do to save money.
    Sandwich made at home every evening for the next day. Pack of biscuits for 70-80p that last the week for snacks. Whatever crisps are on offer that week.

My weekly tab: about £5 per week.
    • laurenturner
    • By laurenturner 4th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    laurenturner
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5165401

There are plenty of ideas here
    Current Savings: £2,313.37
    Make £10 a day November 2017 - £93.40/£300 December - £17.72/£155
    Save 7k in 2018 - £0/£7000
    • datlex
    • By datlex 4th Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    datlex
    I vary mine. Sometimes I get a sandwich £1 at local cafe, other times I use a pasta pot (80p - £1 depending on type), other times I take food in a food flask.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 4th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    You will definitely save money if you make your own!
    Pasta salad - make a big batch and in the fridge it will last a couple of days.
    When you go to the supermarket grab a sandwich / salad that's marked down and have that the next day.
    Cook extra at dinner for the next day.
    Extras like crisps / biscuits / fizzy drinks buy from somewhere like aldi. You can get a whole weeks worth of crisps for £1.
    You can get own brand microwave meals for less than £1. Sometimes a hot lunch fills you more than a sandwich.
    Cupa soup in your drawer for when you get peckish!
    Take a water bottle so you don't spend on bottled water.
    I did this but treated myself to a vanilla latte on Fridays! Nice to have the odd treat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter