Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chipz2803
    • By chipz2803 3rd Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    chipz2803
    Mortgages and Ltv's, help appreciated!
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    Mortgages and Ltv's, help appreciated! 3rd Dec 17 at 3:29 PM
    I couldn't find any info on this so hence the thread and question!
    Is it easier to get a mortgage with a lower Ltv on my home? I understand I can get a cheaper mortgage with a low Ltv.
    Say I had an Ltv of 60%, would this be easier to get a mortgage from a lender than say a 90% Ltv? Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before. We currently pay upto £200 per week off our mortgage on a five year fix that ends in two years, then we will be remortgaging to get a better deal.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 56,181 Posts
    • 49,562 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    The amount you can afford to borrow has more impact than the LTV. Interest rates are lower for better LTV's. As the risk of loss for the lender is greatly reduced.

Overpaying has a number of benefits. Not least that should interest rates rise you'll owe less. Which will reduce the impact on your monthly outgoings.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • chipz2803
    • By chipz2803 3rd Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    chipz2803
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Hi thanks for the reply, it makes sense that if my mortgage is down to 80k in two years time when fixed ends, then I'd have a better chance if getting a remortgage?! Yes?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 56,181 Posts
    • 49,562 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    Firstly check what your existing lender will offer you in terms of a new product. Remortgaging to a new lender comes at a cost. As your mortgage balance reduces the benefit of switching lender likewise diminishes. With any saving outweighed by the switching cost.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter