Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bogstandard2
    • By bogstandard2 3rd Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bogstandard2
    How might my card details have been stolen?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    How might my card details have been stolen? 3rd Dec 17 at 3:09 PM
    My debit card has been used to make a number of iTunes purchases (£120 worth). They haven't compromised my iTunes account; they have used my card on a different account. Bank are looking into it, but I just don't know how it happened.

I feel like I'm very careful. Always look out for anything suspicious at cash machines (and tbh rarely use them). Only shop on trusted (established brand) websites and never store my card details for next time, always type them out each time. Don't visit dodgy sites and check my PC regularly for viruses.

I also don't understand what they gain from this kind of crime - they're not buying goods they can sell on? What might they be buying on iTunes that would make carrying out a risky crime worth it?

Will my bank's fraud team pass this on to the police or is this just considered small fry in the world of card fraud?
Page 1
    • datlex
    • By datlex 3rd Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    datlex
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    They can get them in all manner of ways. For example have you seen that Barclays add where the guy gets the details from photos? (Though I appreciate that doesn't show for the 3 digit code)

As for what they can gain. They have gained £120 they no longer have to spend.
    • bogstandard2
    • By bogstandard2 3rd Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bogstandard2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    Would someone really commit a crime and risk all the consequences that come with it just to get a few apps/games/music/whatever? I presumed it must be part of something bigger-scale i.e. they nick £120 from a few hundred people and somehow gain significantly. But I can't imagine how given it's all digital goods/Apple proprietary and can't be sold on...
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 3rd Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    18cc
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    Did they actually buy iTunes 'stuff' (eg films, music for download) or iTunes gift cards/vouchers - these can be sold on for a bit less than face value.
    • bogstandard2
    • By bogstandard2 3rd Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bogstandard2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    18cc I have no idea what they bought as I can only see the amounts, but the amounts aren't round numbers - they're like £14.98, £10.38 etc - so maybe not gift cards?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 18,688 Posts
    • 14,407 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    check my PC regularly for viruses.
    Originally posted by bogstandard2
    It's not viruses that will steal your card details though, it's malware. If you don't already do so, I strongly suggest that you download Malwarebytes and run it on a regular basis. This is the official site, I don't believe there is any need to pay for the extra functions, so just download the free version.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

If it finds anything I'd post on the Techie board to ask about removal tools.
    • bioboybill
    • By bioboybill 3rd Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    bioboybill
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    People can also steal your card details by just walking very close to you and using rfid skimmers that steal your card details. You can buy wallets/card carriers that can stop this. Or wrap the cards in foil! Thieves often carry out several low value I-tunes purchases first, and if successful then go on to make much larger transactions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,089Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter