Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 3rd Dec 17, 3:04 PM
    • 90Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Sue58
    Bankers vs JPGI
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:04 PM
    Bankers vs JPGI 3rd Dec 17 at 3:04 PM
    I'm looking into investing this year's ISA allowance into a Global IT that attracts some income/yield as well as some growth. At the moment I am considering either Bankers or JP Morgan Growth & Income as these two IT's seem to fit my requirements, however, I'm struggling to decide which one to invest in or indeed maybe split the 20K between the two?

If anybody holds either of these IT's then your opinions would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • ArchBair
    • By ArchBair 3rd Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ArchBair
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    I hold Bankers and am happy with the way this IT is managed by Alex Crooke who is the long term manager, I think from about 2003. Don't really know much about JPGI apart from that it changed its policy to offer a better income/yield but not really sure on how it fits into the Global Equity Income Sector as I feel it's still really more of a growth IT.
    Last edited by ArchBair; 03-12-2017 at 3:33 PM.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 3rd Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    I've held Bankers for a while now and it's doing what I want it to do, not the highest yield but a good total return. JPGI seems to have recently undergone some sort of re-purposing to offer a higher yield so there isn't much historical data. It seems to have a policy of paying dividends from capital sales as well as dividends received to bolster income. Nothing wrong with this approach as such but it may not be sustainable if conditions turn against it. If income isn't a priority this may not be a big factor for you but then I wouldn't be looking for a higher income fund anyway and focus on total return. Do you need the income?
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 3rd Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sue58
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    I've held Bankers for a while now and it's doing what I want it to do, not the highest yield but a good total return. JPGI seems to have recently undergone some sort of re-purposing to offer a higher yield so there isn't much historical data. It seems to have a policy of paying dividends from capital sales as well as dividends received to bolster income. Nothing wrong with this approach as such but it may not be sustainable if conditions turn against it. If income isn't a priority this may not be a big factor for you but then I wouldn't be looking for a higher income fund anyway and focus on total return. Do you need the income?
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    No I don't need the income at the moment so maybe Bankers would be OK for me.
    • MPN
    • By MPN 4th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    MPN
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    OP, as well as considering Bankers you could also look at F&C or Alliance Trust if you want less UK exposure?
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 4th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sue58
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    OP, as well as considering Bankers you could also look at F&C or Alliance Trust if you want less UK exposure?
    Originally posted by MPN
    Thanks for the suggestions and I did look at F&C but I'm really OK with Bankers UK exposure at around 25%.
    • Sue58
    • By Sue58 5th Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sue58
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    Would you say Bankers is a good defensive IT for an income & growth holding? I noticed that the Trustnet risk score is 109 whereas Witan which is a growth fund only has a irsk score of 93 which is more conservative than Bankers. I'm not sure on how this is worked out?
    Last edited by Sue58; 05-12-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 5th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    I wouldn't call Bankers a particularly defensive investment. It is well diversified by both geography and sector but its remit is to maximise shareholder total return not protect it as a priority. In comparison to the very conservative Personal Assets or Troy funds it will experience much more volatility though probably less than SMT. It's somewhere between the two, perhaps you could call it average risk in keeping with its peers and well suited for income and growth

FE risk scores are backward looking, see

https://www2.trustnet.com/learn/learnaboutinvesting/FE-Risk-Scores.html
    • StellaN
    • By StellaN 6th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    StellaN
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    As ColdIron has already said Bankers is well diversified by geography and sector and is about average risk. However, I believe, more importantly, investors actually buy in to the thinking and beliefs of the long term manager Alex Crooke's active management and therefore it's a mix of these two points.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,986Posts Today

10,224Users online

Martin's Twitter