Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smudge's Lot
    • By Smudge's Lot 3rd Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Smudge's Lot
    How to install new OS on SSD
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    How to install new OS on SSD 3rd Dec 17 at 3:03 PM
    I have a Dell Studio XPS 435 MT running Vista.....that I have just installed a Crucial BX300 SSD in, all fits and connects OK, but I bought a Win 7 Home premium USB from Fleabay, and wanted to know how to go about installing it on the SSD.

My intention is to disconnect the primary HDD with Vista on it, reconfigure the BIOS to RAID and also, make the USB drive the first bootable drive, and go from there...

Does that sound right?

Don't really want to clone the HDD as will keep it anyway with all my data on, but use Win 7 from the SSD rather than Vista on the HDD. That should achieve a clean install shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance!!!
Page 1
    • were
    • By were 3rd Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    were
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    Disconnect the drive from the pc. and replace it with the ssd. Google this model as it may work without turning on raid in the bios. Also read through Dell bios upgrades as they might be new dive tyoes and fixes there.

Put the old drive in the usb. usb is slow. Or is the installation on usb?

To boot from usb there is normally one key you can press that gives you a boot menu.

Once all is installed and working then you can reintroduce the old disk - it is a safer way
    Last edited by were; 03-12-2017 at 3:37 PM.
    • Smudge's Lot
    • By Smudge's Lot 3rd Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Smudge's Lot
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    Win 7 is indeed just on a USB drive.
    So if I just swop the SATA cables over from the HDD to the SSD and disconnect the HDD, obviously the SSD will now be the primary drive.
    So if I start the computer up, will I be able to install straight from the USB?

If USB is so slow, should I transfer the contents onto a DVDRW to use in the optical drive?

Not many bios updates on DELL website for a 2009 machine!

I believe that once installed that windows 7 will offer an option to ensure Trim is on the SSD?
    • were
    • By were 3rd Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    were
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    Win 7 is indeed just on a USB drive.
    So if I just swop the SATA cables over from the HDD to the SSD and disconnect the HDD, obviously the SSD will now be the primary drive.
    Originally posted by Smudge's Lot
    yup, you will probably get an error complaining about booting or not drive not formatted being a new disk.

So if I start the computer up, will I be able to install straight from the USB?
    Maybe? on early systems booting from usb was no supported/recognised in the bios, so you may need a DVD. Most work.

If USB is so slow, should I transfer the contents onto a DVDRW to use in the optical drive?
    for a one off it is not worth it. That age of system will probably only support usb2. If you need a permanent connection then you may want to buy a usb 3 card and hope the bios supports the card.

Not many bios updates on DELL website for a 2009 machine!

I believe that once installed that windows 7 will offer an option to ensure Trim is on the SSD?
    Windows 7 does support SSD but would check this is active after doing all the updates via google
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 3rd Dec 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:32 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:32 PM
    It is AHCI you need to enable in the Bios if it is not already enabled. Swapping it afterwards is difficult but can be done. Therefore make sure you have it set the way that is most advantageous.

Are there options to boot from USB on your PC? There are CD images which can enable USB booting but that adds a slow CD access.

If you insert the USB flash drive into a USB port and then enter the Bios, usually the [DEL] key but might be different on a DELL.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 4th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    toshi
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    Hitting F12 during the dell screen to boot from the USB stick ?
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 4th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    How are you getting on?
    • Smudge's Lot
    • By Smudge's Lot 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Smudge's Lot
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    Not done yet, as got studying to do and am sure the constant beeps would distract me, so will try next week when I have the time.
    There was an update to the BIOS on the Dell web site, and in the Boot menu, there is a USB option, and the Crucial SSD also shows despite not changing the BIOS settings to RAID yet....so, fingers crossed, it should be ok next week, will let all know!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter