Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 3rd Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 2,961Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Charity Art Sale.
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    Charity Art Sale. 3rd Dec 17 at 2:59 PM
    Artists including Frank Auerbach and Kevin Sinnott have donated works to a Welsh school's fundraiser to build a new art wing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-42195577

That top one, it's called Albert St, and has a reserve price on it, in the auction, of £4500.
    Is there something i'm missing ?
    When your kids come home from nursery with a painting they've done, and ask you to pin it on the fridge, think carefully before you throw it in the bin.
Page 1
    • Art Vandelay
    • By Art Vandelay 3rd Dec 17, 3:22 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    Art Vandelay
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:22 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:22 PM
    Ah, but is it as good as this one, alternatively identified as 'ketchup on canvas'?

$46.4 million!

http://www.christies.com/features/Twombly-Circle-of-Fire-8684-1.aspx?sc_lang=en#FID-8684
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 3rd Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    Ah, but is it as good as this one, alternatively identified as 'ketchup on canvas'?

$46.4 million!

http://www.christies.com/features/Twombly-Circle-of-Fire-8684-1.aspx?sc_lang=en#FID-8684
    Originally posted by Art Vandelay
    Yes i see it now, stimulating brilliance, with a flowing cheerfulness. Instinctive and yet strangely thought provoking.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 3rd Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 31,037 Posts
    • 114,348 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    The trouble is, a photo, or other reproduction, in my experience, never ever does a painting justice.

You really do have to see it in 'the flesh' before making a judgement.

Having said that, you do sometimes wonder if some people are taking the pi$$.

My feeling is that art people, or anyone really, should judge a painting standing alone, without knowing who painted it.
    Knowing it's by someone famous always clouds the judgement, imo.

Plus, it reminds one of the paintings done by chimps, that were drooled over by 'art critics' several years ago.

Once they knew they were by chimps, they no longer rated them. Strange that.
    Either a painting is drool-worthy, or it isn't. Shouldn't matter who painted it.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter