Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jessicaannestevens
    • By Jessicaannestevens 3rd Dec 17, 2:38 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Jessicaannestevens
    Renting with CCJ? Help needed
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:38 PM
    Renting with CCJ? Help needed 3rd Dec 17 at 2:38 PM
    Hi there,

Me and my partner are currently looking for a 2 bedroom house to rent. He is only on an income of 12,000 a year and I’m unemployed however we are looking to rent for 12 months and my partners dad is paying the whole year for us while my partner moves to a better paid job and I have the baby (due in March). He’s offered to pay it monthly or the whole year upfront.

We have both done our own credit checks with Noddle and our credit scores are low and my partner has a CCJ which he never knew about and thought the debt led to that was settled as he has set up a direct debit to pay it back gradually. We never received a letter from the court just a letter from Lowell solicitor and when my partner set up the direct debit they said they’d remove it!

We’ve viewed a property and are interested ( they know about the low income etc) With his dad being a guarantor and offering to pay the year or 6 months upfront do we even have a chance with the letting agents and landlord?

I just don’t want to waste our or their time....
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 18,754 Posts
    • 14,457 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    If they know and haven't said no then you must have a chance. It's not really that different to letting to students, so even if this LL decides not to rent to you there will be one somewhere who will.

Good luck with the letting, the baby and you partner's new job.
    • Jessicaannestevens
    • By Jessicaannestevens 3rd Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jessicaannestevens
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    They don’t know about the CCJ as of yet until I speak with them tomorrow but they know about the rest of our circumstances! That gives me abit of hope, I always feel put off trying again when I have a bad encounter if we get a no from these then hopefully I’ll be brave enough to go ahead to different people!

Thank you so much x
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 3rd Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Have they asked if either of you have a CCJ?
    • Jessicaannestevens
    • By Jessicaannestevens 3rd Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jessicaannestevens
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    No they haven’t yet. They said if we were interested in the property moving forward they’d check for CCJ and DMP.

But before the checks I may just say to them this is what we’ve found before progressing any further do we still have a chance and hopefully it’ll be a yes! Wishful thinking!
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    wesleyad
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    Hi Jessica,

If you haven't already, I would suggest looking for more private rentals that skip out the agents. Try places like gumtree. As a LL I advertise on gumtree and I find being able to meet and speak to prospective tenants directly before doing the checks is vastly more useful than hearing it secondhand through a letting agent. A letting agent will likely just say... couple, low income, CCJ, avoid.

Also it save you tons of ridiculous fees (unless you are in scotland). Just make sure the LL is knowledgeable about current regs (gas safety, deposits, smoke alarms etc)
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 4th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    No they haven’t yet. They said if we were interested in the property moving forward they’d check for CCJ and DMP.

But before the checks I may just say to them this is what we’ve found before progressing any further do we still have a chance and hopefully it’ll be a yes! Wishful thinking!
    Originally posted by Jessicaannestevens

They wouldn't know about a DMP, or most other things. Letting agents only see public data - so for example a CCJ, IVA, Bankruptcy.

So really you should limit what you tell them, but definitely mention the CCJ.
    • Jessicaannestevens
    • By Jessicaannestevens 6th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jessicaannestevens
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    Spoke Monday to the estate agents with regard to ccj etc and he told the landlord the circumstances before we proceeded to paying for the reference checks and she was happy to go ahead! Me and my partner have filled in the references etc on the same day (Monday) but haven’t heard back as of yet.

Checked the house on right move and they’ve put let agreed so hopefully we will have some news soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter