Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geek84
    • By geek84 3rd Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1,032Posts
    • 105Thanks
    geek84
    Recommendations for portable battery charger
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    Recommendations for portable battery charger 3rd Dec 17 at 2:20 PM
    Hi Folks

I'm thinking of buying a reasonably priced reliable portable car battery charger.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 15,776 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by geek84
    You've had suggestions for a cheap-supermarket-brand that's occasionally available.
    You've had suggestions for an extremely good, widely available premium brand - CTek chargers are rebranded by most of the premium car manufacturers.

If neither of them's good enough, what are you after from a recommendation?

FWIW, I have two CTeks - an MXS5.0 and an MXS3.6 - the difference is the maximum charging current, so the amount of time to fully charge a battery. The 5.0 is fitted into my camper van, the 3.6 is for use in the garage. For the chargers with maximum currents below 3.6A, the reconditioning features are missing.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th Dec 17, 8:12 AM
    • 13,265 Posts
    • 17,484 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I have actually been through three Aldi chargers. They don't seem to last much longer than the 3 year warranty.

For battery maintenance, I use cheap 1 amp motorcycle auto chargers from Ebay. They have the advantage over the Aldi ones in that they don't need resetting after a power cut.

For getting amps into a battery, diagnosis and recovery, I use one of these....

Ring Multi stage fully automatic SmartCharger

Under £60 if you shop around
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • maxheadroom
    • By maxheadroom 5th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    maxheadroom
    Been through 4 aldi/lidl chargers, did get one replaced in just in warranty but have three dead ones in the shed. probably should have just spashed out for a ctek
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

7,913Users online

Martin's Twitter