Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thejungles
    • By thejungles 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    thejungles
    Bank charges every single month (santander)
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    Bank charges every single month (santander) 3rd Dec 17 at 2:11 PM
    Hello all im new here and this is my first post.

I will start by saying that i know im responsible for my own money and going into the minus is entirely my own doing but im stuck in a vicious circle of charges that mean that i have no choice but to go into the minus.

one month i had £34 in my account and i spent £2.80 on my card and in the following bank statement it said that when i spent the £2.80 i had -£11 which simply isnt true as i checked my account online when i was in the que ready to pay.......... low and behond i was charged -£10 ontop of the £2.80

I recieved a letter from my bank stating that since november last year i have had over £700 in bank charges (that ive just worked out to actually be over £900) ive been stuck in this circle for over 5 years and 6 years ago i got into contact with my bank and they paid me £600 back from £2000 in charges but that was 6 years ago.

today i called my bank and asked about getting some of my charges back and he said he could see my charges and offer me a "good will gesture" of £64 (last months bank charge) i said thank you but i dont want to accept that and when he asked why i explained that last time when i went to citizens advice they stated that as the bank have given me £600 of the estimated £2000 then i cant claim anymore and i said that by accepting the £64 i dont want to put myself in the same situation again, to which he accepted that and we ended the call mutually.

where do i stand here and can anyone give me any advice, i have a £700 mortgage to pay (with another bank) and bills/food and i only get paid £1200 a month add a £95 bank charge ontop of that and im looking at having £23.70 a month to live off.
Page 2
    • thejungles
    • By thejungles 3rd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thejungles
    That's a good start - there may be other areas to save money too.

Switching providers, haggling for a better deal, selling things you no longer use.

Keep looking for those gaps.

Haha my house is getting emptier and emptier im always selling on ebay.

As you have been paying £700 into your "bills account" and are now reducing it to £650 does that account have a healthy credit balance that could go towards the overdraft ?

Unfortunately not, we recently got married so we have just paid that off. like i said before i have paid my overdraft off and my account is currently at 0 but i owe my mum £1000, i have set up a direct debit of £100 a month that gets paid to my mum and im getting rid of the debt that way.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 3rd Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 7,217 Posts
    • 10,137 Thanks
    KxMx
    I think the advise given in post #17 is spot on. You need to do your own accounting and keep real time records of your spending, instead of relying on the bank.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Just a short note - look at 123 Lite with Santander, it's £1 with cashback.

Get rid of your TV bundles - Freeview /Freesat.
    Mobile 3 PAYG or Plusnet/iD 30day sim only for about a £5 are good value.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,607Posts Today

7,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin