Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AquaGirl
    • By AquaGirl 3rd Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 12Thanks
    AquaGirl
    Vibrating plates in the gym
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    Vibrating plates in the gym 3rd Dec 17 at 1:42 PM
    Of course the fitness instructors and the gym owners will tell you they work wonders but i can't help but feel dubious about them. Recently signed up to the gym and there's one of these things there and it just brings me images of those belts that you wear that shock your muscles and give you a 6 pack while you eat cake all day or going even further back in time the treadmill like things with the belt that vibrates and wobbles your belly fat to "melt it away".

Hopefully you know the plates i'm referring to. I can google images an image if it helps but really are these things worth anything or are they just one big con?
Page 1
    • EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 3rd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    EdSwippet
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    ... but really are these things worth anything or are they just one big con?
    Originally posted by AquaGirl
    Worthwhile if used correctly -- that is, actually exercising on one! -- and a waste of time if not. From a University of Antwerp study:
    "These are very encouraging results, but it doesn't mean people trying to lose weight can ditch aerobic exercise and jump on the vibration plate instead. They still need a healthy diet and aerobic exercise, but this could be a viable alternative to weight lifting," Vissers said, explaining that the plate works by making muscles rapidly contract, which builds lean muscle mass.

"People say vibration machines are fitness for lazy people. It may feel like a short cut, but if it's easy, you are not doing it properly," he added. "Supervision in the beginning is imperative and the longer the better. What we see in gyms very often - people just standing on the machine holding the handles - is not going to do anything."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

1,534Users online

Martin's Twitter