Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alanfp
    • By alanfp 3rd Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 139Posts
    • 40Thanks
    alanfp
    New ch timer/programmer. Do I need new "zone"valves?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    New ch timer/programmer. Do I need new "zone"valves? 3rd Dec 17 at 1:15 PM
    Hi
    Just had a plumber confirm that we need a new timer / programmer (which incorporates the room thermostat). He says we'd need a new junction box also.

BUT.... he says we need a new cylinder stat and he needs to replace the two zone valves. Presumably he means the motorised 3 way valves.

I can't see why the valve hardware or the cylinder stat would need to be replaced. Surely it can take the signals from the new programmer. They must give out the same sort of Signals I would have thought. I may be wrong though because the old programmer is about 30-35 years old (electronic, LCD display etc).

He suggested that if we could find an old programmer that someone still had in stock, he could do a direct replacement. Presumably this would be a £100 job instead of the £500 that he has quoted.

Any comments would be gratefully received. T i a
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 3rd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    What programmer do you currently have?
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 3rd Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    thorganby
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    Get a second opinion, he seems to think that you are a money tree!
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 3rd Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    none of that apart from the programmer is needed your whole system can't be knackered

worst case, you need a wiring centre and programmer all the other stuff probably still works
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 3rd Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    It really depends what you currently have, if you have some old energy management system or relay designed system it could be obsolete and require a complete upgrade of controls and valves.
    • alanfp
    • By alanfp 3rd Dec 17, 2:38 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    alanfp
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:38 PM
    It's a
    Honeywell smartfit.

7 day timer, CH and HW controls
    I can't see any model No. on it.
    The front hinged cover has a curved bottom.

I would attempt to up load a photo, but don't think I can.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 3rd Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    I think the smart fit is obsolete, if it is then it will be completely new controls, valve and cylinder stat.
    • alanfp
    • By alanfp 3rd Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    alanfp
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    Alex, thank you so much for your replies.

The plumber comes with a good local recommendation (and liaised with my wife and not me), but I couldn't believe that I needed that new hardware just because I needed a controller which is managing inputs and outputs.

I will make some more enquiries tomorrow just in case I can find an old smart fit controller lurking on somebody's shelf. but if i can't, you have given me some comfort that he is not ripping us off.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 3rd Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Looking at the smartfit system, it seems that the accessories are standard items with plugs on the cable, the smart centre is just a wiring centre that uses a PCB to make installation easier. Im guessing you will have to stump up for all new items, still £500 is a bit steep even if he is installing a nest or hive system. get a second quote to check the price.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 3rd Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    thorganby
    It's a
    Honeywell smartfit.

7 day timer, CH and HW controls
    I can't see any model No. on it.
    The front hinged cover has a curved bottom.

I would attempt to up load a photo, but don't think I can.
    Originally posted by alanfp
    A standard Honeywell 7 day programmable thermostat (better than what you have) is available here for £70 and any decent plumber should be capable of fitting this to your existing components easily for you.

https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/honeywell-m-10.html/honeywell-cm907-7-day-programmable-thermostat-p-271.html

Many plumbers simply don't do electrics and this Smartfit Lego type system was obviously introduced for those plumbers frightened of electrics.

£500 is ripping you off big time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,407Posts Today

8,243Users online

Martin's Twitter