Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,369Posts
    • 263Thanks
    britishboy
    Buy 55" TV now or after Christmas
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    Buy 55" TV now or after Christmas 3rd Dec 17 at 1:03 PM
    We're after a 55" TV for the lounge and have seen an LG one in John Lewis for £539 with the 5 year guarantee, is it a good deal (LG 55UJ635V model) or should we wait til the boxing day sales?

We're not desperate for one before Christmas, but didnt want to miss out as thought this looked a good deal, especially with the 5 year std JL warranty
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 32,768 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    Not really sure what you expect people to tell you?
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 3rd Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    capital0ne
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    Looks like you find the warranty more attractive than the TV
    • were
    • By were 3rd Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    were
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    why do you not look at the hotukdeals.com site, or put the question there?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 3rd Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    One of 4 things that will happen to this price on boxing day

1. it will remain the same
    2. it will be not available
    3. it will be more expensive
    4. it will be cheaper

Your guess is as good as mine
    • bjbyorkshire
    • By bjbyorkshire 3rd Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    bjbyorkshire
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    We bought a 43 inch from John Lewis last year in early December and were concerned about just the same thing happening so we asked the sales person in the Leeds store if he thought they would be in the sale. He said that if the tv was reduced in the next 30 days then they would honour this price and refund the difference to me. It was reduced just after Christmas so I rang them, they looked my purchase up on their database and promptly refunded the difference back to my credit card. John Lewis are brilliant to deal with especially on the phone. I don’t put my card details on web sites if I can help it, so I rang their customer services and they were more than helpful.

If I were you I would ring them and ask the question about price matching, if the tv you want should be reduced in the next month can they refund the difference to you?

Let us know what the answer is please.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 4th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    Looks like you find the warranty more attractive than the TV
    Originally posted by capital0ne
    is it not a very good TV then? Genuine question by the way
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 32,768 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    is it not a very good TV then? Genuine question by the way
    Originally posted by britishboy
    LG cheap out the panel on their low/mid TVs.
    Go into Currys etc where they are show and compare the colours to other makes in the same price bracket.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 4th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    LG cheap out the panel on their low/mid TVs.
    Go into Currys etc where they are show and compare the colours to other makes in the same price bracket.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Comparing TV colours in a shop is pointless as all the sets will be set to the most garish mode available, not a sensible mode you would actually want to use.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 4th Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    I know that second hand is not for everyone but there are plenty of nearly new used TVs on eBay, Gumtree etc.

A lot of people upgrade every year or two and sell as new TVs for half the new price or less.

You don't get a warranty so you do take that risk but, with care and common sense you can get a bargain.

We have a 6 year old 43" Panasonic bought second hand for under half price when it was barely 6 months old from someone who decided to replace it with a then newly launched 3D model. It hasn't given us a single problem yet despite being used for many hours every day.

We also have a 40" Samsung that we bought five years ago from someone who was emigrating. That worked fine for 2 years until the power board failed. I spent less than £30 on a replacement power board and the TV has been fine ever since.

Have a search on eBay, Gumtree etc and look for a suitable model within reasonable distance of your home.

Here are some on eBay.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 32,768 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    Comparing TV colours in a shop is pointless as all the sets will be set to the most garish mode available, not a sensible mode you would actually want to use.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    I was going for an easy low tech option. The OP doesnt come across as wanting technobabble. If all the TVs use their most 'garish' option,you will see the LGs looking decidedly washed out in comparison.

If you wish,LG use RGBW panels on their cheap to mid range TVs.
    So in short they cant achieve full colour 4K.

you can have a read here

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2398506-rgb-vs-rgbw-lcd-4k-ultra-hd-designation.html

Personally given LGs sneaky marketing of what (IMO) is a lesser '4K' product then they should be hurt with poor sales.
    Last edited by custardy; 04-12-2017 at 7:34 PM.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 11th Dec 17, 11:16 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    Thanks all, I'm guessing some of you here are TV experts or in the know, can any of you recommend a decent 55" tv for up to a maximum of £600?

Not fussed about 3D etc, just want a very good, crisp picture and to be a smart TV
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Dec 17, 11:23 PM
    • 18,905 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Understand that £600 is a "budget" price for a 55"screen. Perhaps, as "Head The Ball" suggests, look for a better model second hand?
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 12th Dec 17, 3:15 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    mobileron
    6 years warranty at Richersounds.
    • WaywardDriver
    • By WaywardDriver 12th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    WaywardDriver
    Bought this from Currys under £600 - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55mu6120-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10169010-pdt.html#srcid=11026
    Good Which review at reasonable price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,207Posts Today

6,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin