Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FWB
    • By FWB 3rd Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    FWB
    Remortgaging & Help to buy loan query
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    Remortgaging & Help to buy loan query 3rd Dec 17 at 12:46 PM
    Happy Sunday everyone

Just looking on abit of advice from people of this forum as I've seen some good replies in regards to this popular subject!

Basically, myself and my girlfriend are 1 year into our 2 year fixed mortgage period with the following details to help you paint the picture:
    [LIST][*]Mortgage value: £145,000[*]Mortgage LTV: 75%[*]Mortgage loan- £108,750[*]Terms- 2 year fixed at 1.85% upping to 5.44% variable once the current product has lapsed.[*]Monthly repayment- £395 minimum (currently overpaying £500)[*]Help to buy equity Loan- £29,000 (20%)[*]Remaining 5% paid by deposit
    • Joint annual income- £43,000

Like a lot of people, we're at a crossroads with our next steps. We're wondering whether we're better off down the route of making larger overpayments on the mortgage while we still leave 4 years interest free on our HTB equity loan, thus increasing our equity in the property when we come to remortgage at the end of interest free period and encompassing the HTB loan with the mortgage.

OR

Saving the money up and paying the HTB loan at the end of the interest free period and carrying on as normal (assuming the price of the property hasn't skyrocketed in this period, unlikely but not impossible).

My only issue is that we really need to remortgage in a years time in order to avoid the silly jump of 1.85% to 5.44% variable so I'd ideally like to know whether encompassing the HTB in our remortgage terms would be more beneficial for us.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    • 56,242 Posts
    • 49,611 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    You need to remortgage in a years time. As there's also the option of simply selecting a new product from your existing lender.

If you cannot beat the interest rate that you are paying on your mortgage. Then saving doesn't make sense.

Personally I'd opt for remortgaging at the end of the HTB term.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • FWB
    • By FWB 3rd Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FWB
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply Thrugelmir, in the meantime would you personally opt for upping my overpayments on the current mortgage?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 56,242 Posts
    • 49,611 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    Personnally yes I would overpay. While "investing" may potentially provide a better long term return. Being mortgage free is a worthwhile goal for the security and stress free life it provides. For all of us the future is uncertain. Events could impact us financially at any time.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • FWB
    • By FWB 3rd Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FWB
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense and I was leaning towards the overpayment path as opposed to saving and clearing the HTB loan at the end of the interest free period for that very reason of uncertainty. Thanks for your help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,042Posts Today

4,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin