Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 3rd Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,945Posts
    • 1,107Thanks
    trinidadone
    Disability scooters / driving licence
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    Disability scooters / driving licence 3rd Dec 17 at 12:31 PM
    Hello all, a neighbour had the misfortune of losing her leg at the beginning of the year (above the knee). She is over 65. She needs information on how or where to acquire a scooter?

Also, she is experiencing challenges at the moment with the DVLA over her licence. The licence was cancelled, and she has received several forms to complete. Anyone experienced this before???
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 3rd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    Have a look in the local newsagents window and buy secondhand. I bought one for my father for £300. This will give the opportunity to see how well she gets on with it.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 3rd Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 2,405 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    Also, she is experiencing challenges at the moment with the DVLA over her licence. The licence was cancelled, and she has received several forms to complete. Anyone experienced this before???
    Can't help with the scooter, I'm afraid, but a friend who lost a leg (also above knee amputation) could only get a driving licence for automatics. As she preferred automatics, this wasn't an issue for her - but could be the answer to your neighbour's problem if she's trying to get a 'full' licence?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 18,687 Posts
    • 14,401 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    I'd suggest that getting the thread moved to a more suitable board than Student Money Saving might well get you a better response.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 36,183 Posts
    • 152,913 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    Moving this thread to Disability Money Matters, where hopefully you will get some responses.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 3rd Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 15,295 Posts
    • 21,822 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    ...Also, she is experiencing challenges at the moment with the DVLA over her licence. The licence was cancelled, and she has received several forms to complete. Anyone experienced this before???
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    Q. Do I need a driving licence to ride a mobility scooter on the road?

A. No. You do not need take a test nor have a driving license to use a mobility scooter. It is, though, a legal requirement that only disabled people may use Class 2 or Class 3 scooters (unless the user is conducting a sales demonstration).

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/insurance/scooter-and-powerchair-insurance
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 3rd Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 4,200 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    We looked for a scooter for a while before we found one for the father in law.
    Got it from a local hospice charity shop, although I found it through Ebay. We were also searching Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace.
    The one we got was virtually brand new, the owner bought it and then wasn't allowed to keep it at her sheltered housing accomodation. £500 instead of the £1100 it cost originally.
    We went for an 8mph one, as someone local had bought a 4mph one, but it couldn't cope with the hills round here, so take that into consideration as well.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    Q. Do I need a driving licence to ride a mobility scooter on the road?

A. No. You do not need take a test nor have a driving license to use a mobility scooter. It is, though, a legal requirement that only disabled people may use Class 2 or Class 3 scooters (unless the user is conducting a sales demonstration).

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/insurance/scooter-and-powerchair-insurance
    Originally posted by antrobus

The second sentence of the answer is interesting as there have been stories about youngsters buying scooters to play about on and people using them when obese (where the scooter does more harm than good).

Anyone can go and buy one and there don't seem to be any checks on users.

I think there should be some kind of test as it is not unusual to see people obviously not in control and one of the heavier machines could kill or badly injure a toddler or small dog.

I once knew a lady whose father-in-law was badly disabled but was allowed to use a faster scooter. She was so worried that he would hurt someone as he was unable to raise his head to look straight ahead. Also, we were glad that my sister had hold of our father's bank account as he threatened to buy a scooter (easy as a private house nearby was selling them),but would have been incapable because of Parkinsons and the beginnings of dementia, which changed his temperament, to challenging.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter