Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • propinquitas
    • By propinquitas 3rd Dec 17, 11:04 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 27Thanks
    propinquitas
    Removing solar panels
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:04 AM
    Removing solar panels 3rd Dec 17 at 11:04 AM
    Hi, does anyone have any advice or experience they can offer please regarding removing a solar panel system and selling it on?
    We have recently moved to a bungalow with these on the roof and we hate them. We are having a new roof so they would need to be removed regardless, the only difference being is that we won't be putting them back.
    I would like to think they could be of use to someone who would like them.
    I would be grateful for any advice.
    Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    ajbell
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    Do you understand the benefits of the panels?.
    Depending on when they were first installed they could be making hundreds or even thousands of pounds a year in cash.
    You can sell them on but they wont be worth that much because as I understand it, if they are currently registered for FIT payments they can not be re used in another FIT registered system.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    Hi, does anyone have any advice or experience they can offer please regarding removing a solar panel system and selling it on?
    We have recently moved to a bungalow with these on the roof and we hate them. We are having a new roof so they would need to be removed regardless, the only difference being is that we won't be putting them back.
    I would like to think they could be of use to someone who would like them.
    I would be grateful for any advice.
    Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by propinquitas
    Do you actually own the panels? They will have been registered for FIT payments by someone and this is not transferable between properties. My 2.15kWp system has a payback of just under £1K a year. If they are part of a rent-a-roof scheme, you will need to check the lease deal before you try to remove them or sell them on.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 27,099 Posts
    • 13,217 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    The above posts are making the assumption they are solar PV panels - i.e generate electricity.

They could of course be solar thermal panels - i.e heat hot water. They also will have very little value. If they are solar thermal you will need to make sure they are properly disconnected.
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 3rd Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    ajbell
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    True, could do with a little more detail. Are they owned by you and are they solar thermal or solar PV. Also are they registered for a FIT scheme.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • propinquitas
    • By propinquitas 3rd Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    propinquitas
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    Thanks all for your replies, it is a photovoltaic system made by Landis & Gyr. They are solar pv panels. They were apparently on an FIT with the previous owners but we have had nothing from them.
    We checked several times with our solicitors whether they were owned outright or rented and we were assured they were owned and not under a lease of any kind.
    AJBell, I probably don't understand all of the benefits but looking at this roof, nothing could induce me to keep them. They were installed 2013. There are 16 panels.
    I love the idea of solar power but the aesthetics of my roof are more important to me.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    Thanks all for your replies, it is a photovoltaic system made by Landis & Gyr. They are solar pv panels. They were apparently on an FIT with the previous owners but we have had nothing from them.
    We checked several times with our solicitors whether they were owned outright or rented and we were assured they were owned and not under a lease of any kind.
    AJBell, I probably don't understand all of the benefits but looking at this roof, nothing could induce me to keep them. They were installed 2013. There are 16 panels.
    I love the idea of solar power but the aesthetics of my roof are more important to me.
    I think that I am correct in saying that FIT payments will be paid for 25 years. I cannot understand why your solicitor has not questioned the ownership of these panels. If, or when, I sell my property I would expect to transfer the FIT benefit to the purchaser. I think that your solicitor has failed to carry out all the necessary pre-purchase searches. You would be entitled to a FIT benefit of about 45p for every kWh generated. A 16 panel array would probably generate just under 4000kWhs a year. Multiply that by 21 years and you can calculate how much money you might be missing out on.
    Last edited by Hengus; 03-12-2017 at 8:20 PM.
    • propinquitas
    • By propinquitas 3rd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    propinquitas
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    Thank Hengus, perhaps we should enquire more but either way they're going.
    Our solicitor queried ownership a couple of times but there was never a mention of FIT to our recollection. We just wanted to know if we could get rid of them to which they confirmed we could.
    I know you probably think we're mad....
    Thanks again for your reply.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    Our solicitor queried ownership a couple of times but there was never a mention of FIT to our recollection. We just wanted to know if we could get rid of them to which they confirmed we could.
    It’s your decision, but do get your solicitor to check that you actually own the panels, and that is not a ‘rent a roof’ arrangement. If it is the latter, you cannot legally remove the panels without the prior approval of the owner. It all seems a little odd. If you own the panels, the MCS Certificate should be lodged with the house deeds.
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 3rd Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    If money is no issue then its your look out
    BUT
    your solicitor has failed to do their job properly and im damn sure I wouldn't be happy with that
    If you are not the owner of the array and it is a rent a roof scheme that you try to remove, you may be held liable for all the future 'income' that would be received by the array owners

Lastly. I suspect the landis & gyr is the meter (generation or normal) not the makers of the array.anyone know otherwise?
    • propinquitas
    • By propinquitas 3rd Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    propinquitas
    We did get the solicitor to check several times and she confirmed they are not on a rent a roof scheme (we would not have bought the house if they were so she knew how vital that query was). Thanks for the suggestions/queries, I'm learning. But they're still on borrowed time....
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    We did get the solicitor to check several times and she confirmed they are not on a rent a roof scheme (we would not have bought the house if they were so she knew how vital that query was). Thanks for the suggestions/queries, I'm learning. But they're still on borrowed time....
    But your solicitor should have confirmed what sort of scheme they are on....they have still not Imho (Of course) completely fulfilled there duty on this point
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 3rd Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    You can also speak to your DNO and the supplier of the property when you took over to see whether you are eligible for fit payments....The DNo may not necessarily know that information but they may be able to see when your array was installed and who by and have copies of the MCS docs (they should have if the installer sent the documents correctly).The supplier at exchange may know if the previous owners were being paid FIT, and you may need to speak to them....even if yu are removing them, why miss out on money that is due?
    • propinquitas
    • By propinquitas 3rd Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    propinquitas
    Good information both, thank you.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 3rd Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    House Martin
    Rent a roofers are doing very well and they would nt change it if they had a choice Many have an old analogue meter which will actually run backwards on sunny days deducting units used on the previous nights usage at the same time as crediting the FIT meter.
    so long as the reading never shows a negative on the last reading the suppliers will not twigg and you end up with a virtual zero electric bill.
    The panels sell well on Ebay. As a meter reader I have seen quite a few houses where they increase the panels from the 4 kwh limit without telling the supplier
    Last edited by House Martin; 03-12-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 3rd Dec 17, 11:47 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 6,003 Thanks
    EachPenny
    so long as the reading never shows a negative on the last reading the suppliers will not twigg and you end up with a virtual zero electric bill.
    The panels sell well on Ebay. As a meter reader I have seen quite a few houses where they increase the panels from the 4 kwh limit without telling the supplier
    Originally posted by House Martin
    I'm tempted to buy them just to give you something else to accuse me of fiddling HM I'm sure my meter is one of the ones which goes in reverse

Seriously though, is it difficult to get second-hand ones installed? I realise you don't get the FIT, but to offset some daytime consumption it seems to make sense if the second-hand market makes them available at the right price.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 4th Dec 17, 1:02 PM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 10,250 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Only a guess, but if you have 16 panels, then it's probably a 4kWp system generating around 3,000-4,000kWh pa, and earning FiTs + export of around £600-£800 pa till 2033. Plus leccy savings of around £120pa.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 4th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 10,250 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    As a meter reader I have seen quite a few houses where they increase the panels from the 4 kwh limit without telling the supplier
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Hiya, there is no kWh limit, my 5.58kWp generate between zero and 34kWh per day, with no complaints.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 4th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I'm tempted to buy them just to give you something else to accuse me of fiddling HM I'm sure my meter is one of the ones which goes in reverse
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Don't tell me you haven't got a TV licence?! He _will_ get frothy at the mouth. [ibid. MSE TV licence threads].
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If they are rented, some companies will remove and replace once ,free of charge,during the contract period, while others may charge every time.

Ugliness is one of the reasons we refused the persistent offers of 'free panels', even though ours would be at the back and thank goodness that no one directly opposite has chosen to have them (on their front roof) as we'd have full view of them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

7,373Users online

Martin's Twitter