Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HelloDolly86
    • By HelloDolly86 3rd Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    HelloDolly86
    Do Eco flush toilets save money?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    Do Eco flush toilets save money? 3rd Dec 17 at 10:54 AM
    My water bill has been sky high! I live alone and do all the things on how to save money on my water bill!
    Even the most extreme things such as:
    -military showers(soap and rinse 5 mins)
    -showering at my gym
    -the whole ďif itís yellow let it mellow,if itís brown flush it downĒ
    -I do not take baths only military showers
    -I do not use my dishwasher (I wash plates in sink etc)

My toilet is an old toilet probably from the 80ís, I was wondering if I invest in an eco flush toilet it would help save money on my water bill?

I have no idea how my water bill has gone up from £15 to £30 a month and even when Iíve called up my water company they just stated thatís how it is. My water is metered so how else can I save money on my water bill? Can I change my water provider I know this sounds dumb but again Iím one of those young property owners who has no clue nor parents to ask silly questions like this to!, any advice would be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 3rd Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    You have a leak
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 3rd Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    That's not everso helpful.

Try reading the meter yourself a bit more frequently to establish whethet you do actually have a leak or not.

Turn off everything in the house except the main stop !!!! and have a look at the meter - most have a little cog that rotates in the middle to indicate water flow. It should not be turning.

If it is then shut off the main stopcock in the house and then check the meter - it should not be turning. If it is still turning then you've got a leak between the meter and the internal stopcock which needs to be investigated. If it stops turning then you probably have a leak or a ball valve that's leaking indoors.

Turn the internal stopcock back on and if the meter starts moving again you need to go around looking for leaking cistern valves (check the tank in the loft as well if you've got one to make sure it's not letting by). Look at all the overflows and make sure that none of them are weeping and that no taps are dripping.

If you are in a flat, then it's not unheard of for others to be connected into your supply, so you need to check very carefully what's going on.

It's not difficult, it just need a bit of detective work. You should read you meter yourself regularly so you can see how much you are using and whether any of your water saving measures are working. You'll also see if there is a sudden change which could indicate a problem.

You can get the same effect as a so called eco loo, by puting a brick in the cistern to reduce it's capacity. Just make sure that it's clear of the ball valve and flush mechanism so it doesn't restrict it's operation.
    Last edited by matelodave; 03-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 3rd Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    And for gawds sake don't drop the brick as you are putting it in the cistern.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 3rd Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    Are your water bills based on estimated or actual readings ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 3rd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4,290 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    My water consumption went up 15% after I fitted a "water saving" toilet. You have to flush them 2, 3, sometimes even 4 times to get the pan to empty.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 3rd Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 28,636 Posts
    • 72,954 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    My toilet is an old toilet probably from the 80ís, I was wondering if I invest in an eco flush toilet it would help save money on my water bill?

Your water company may provide one of these for free - www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/products/view/3028/free-hippo-severn-trent.html

I have no idea how my water bill has gone up from £15 to £30 a month
    Originally posted by HelloDolly86
    If that increase is a genuine increase in the amount of water through the meter and you haven't increased your water use, then there is a likely to be a leak somewhere.

Follow matelodave's advice and see what you find out.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 3rd Dec 17, 1:35 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:35 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:35 PM
    I agree with Jack-Pott, our lo-flush loos hardly dilute the liquids let alone get rid of other stuff.

They also go wrong and leak more often and cost significantly more to fix than a good old fashioned syphon and ball-!!!! set up.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 4,290 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    I've just checked my average consumption over a longer, more accurate period, and the new toilet has increased my water use by 8.7%, not 15%, but it's still in the wrong direction, nevertheless.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • cajef
    • By cajef 3rd Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4,579 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    cajef
    -I do not use my dishwasher (I wash plates in sink etc)
    Depending on how may times a day you wash in a sink by hand it can be cheaper and use less water by using your dishwasher, maybe once a day or every other day or even longer if you have enough items that you don't need to wash several times a day and you can wait until it is full.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 3rd Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 23,547 Thanks
    jk0
    Another one here who would love an old fashioned toilet. The five litre flush ones that were here when I moved in require flushing twice for anything other than a wee-wee.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 3rd Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    firefox1956
    My water consumption went up 15% after I fitted a "water saving" toilet. You have to flush them 2, 3, sometimes even 4 times to get the pan to empty.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Just had this conversation with my elderly Dad & his new 'Dual Flush' toilet.......its crap.
    It replaced a double trap syphonic toilet that used to shift absolutely anything with one flush !!!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 3rd Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    • 6,387 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    Norman Castle

I have no idea how my water bill has gone up from £15 to £30 a month and even when Iíve called up my water company they just stated thatís how it is.
    Instead of changing the cistern try adding full 500ml plastic water bottles to it.

Did your water company state your usage has gone up, suggesting a leak, or that your payments have risen to cover costs and possibly previous underpayment.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 3rd Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    boliston
    At my old flat i had "actual" usage for a bill when i was not in the flat for several months and it turned out i was being billed for a neighbours meter rather than my own - my bills pretty much halved once they had corrected it so my own meter was the one that got billed to my account as my neighbours flat had 2 people living in it instead of 1.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 4th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Instead of changing the cistern try adding full 500ml plastic water bottles to it.

Did your water company state your usage has gone up, suggesting a leak, or that your payments have risen to cover costs and possibly previous underpayment.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I like that idea more than the brick, less chance of damaging anything and you can 'adjust' how much you remove from the flush more easily.
    • redux
    • By redux 4th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 17,639 Posts
    • 22,633 Thanks
    redux
    The dual flush toilets are adjustable for both amounts.

It sounds like that might help some people here.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 23,547 Thanks
    jk0
    The dual flush toilets are adjustable for both amounts.

It sounds like that might help some people here.
    Originally posted by redux
    Thanks. Oh, I know that. Just you can't adjust it to flush more than 5 litres, if that is the capacity of the cistern.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin