Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pound
    • By Pound 3rd Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,641Posts
    • 1,313Thanks
    Pound
    Saving money by travelling first class
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    Saving money by travelling first class 3rd Dec 17 at 10:36 AM
    I noticed when taking a train journey that it was only 80p extra to go first class. Given that you can get a drink and snack thrown in this seemed like good value, e.g.

Stoke-on-Trent to Stafford via Cross Country.
    Standard class
    Single ticket: £5.40
    Drink and snack: £3
    Total: £8.40

First class
    Single ticket: £6.20
    Drink and snack £0
    Total: £6.20

Does anyone have any other examples of this?

Page 1
    • dggar
    • By dggar 3rd Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    dggar
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    I noticed when taking a train journey that it was only 80p extra to go first class. Given that you can get a drink and snack thrown in this seemed like good value, e.g.

Stoke-on-Trent to Stafford via Cross Country.
    Standard class
    Single ticket: £5.40
    Drink and snack: £3
    Total: £8.40

First class
    Single ticket: £6.20
    Drink and snack £0
    Total: £6.20

Does anyone have any other examples of this?
    Originally posted by Pound

Would the drinks trolley have time to get to you between Stoke and Stafford?
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 3rd Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    • 5,779 Posts
    • 5,560 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    Would the drinks trolley have time to get to you between Stoke and Stafford?
    Originally posted by dggar
    Even if it doesn't your ticket would give you access to the first class lounge at Stoke station which includes free tea, coffee and nibbles
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 18,703 Posts
    • 14,412 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    A few days ago I bought a 1st class ticket for Aberdeen to Edinburgh for £10, the cheapest standard class ticket on the same train was £8, well worth the extra £2 I hope.
    • Mids_Costcutter
    • By Mids_Costcutter 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 7,770 Thanks
    Mids_Costcutter
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    In the last few years I've found first class tickets £1 cheaper than standard class equivalents on VT from Birmingham Int and Coventry to London Euston. These were always off-peak departing mid-morning or early afternoon.

Why do the train operators do this? I guess they want passengers to try first class in the hope that they'll like it so much that they're prepared to pay extra at other times?
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 4th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 4,208 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    In the last few years I've found first class tickets £1 cheaper than standard class equivalents on VT from Birmingham Int and Coventry to London Euston. These were always off-peak departing mid-morning or early afternoon.

Why do the train operators do this? I guess they want passengers to try first class in the hope that they'll like it so much that they're prepared to pay extra at other times?
    Originally posted by Mids_Costcutter
    I suspect because the first class sections on most of these regional trains are completely empty most of the time and it is not a simple job to get rid of the first class sections. So they try to flog a few first class tickets by reducing the price.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 4th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    I suspect because the first class sections on most of these regional trains are completely empty most of the time and it is not a simple job to get rid of the first class sections. So they try to flog a few first class tickets by reducing the price.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    I wouldn't really call Virgin Trains West Coast a regional service. London Midland would be the regional service that covers Euston, Coventry, and Birmingham.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter