Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 3rd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 109Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Gorie
    Does Free Insulation Exist Anymore?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    Does Free Insulation Exist Anymore? 3rd Dec 17 at 10:23 AM
    I have no insulation in my loft and its COLD! Last owners removed it after some long gone squirrels made their home up there.

I have read the MSE page (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation) but can't tell if I'd qualify for free insulation.

In short I do not think we would qualify for any means tested insulation. I have however called two companies including EON who are coming out late December to do an assessment but still couldn't tell me by phone whether I would get free insulation.

Whilst I can afford the insulation I really do not fancy laying it, don't know any local recommended trade people and like the idea of whomever installs it being a professional. Plus I love free stuff. The only thing is if I'm not eligible then I'd rather get it done now than wait until December.

Has anyone had free insulation installed recently? Any experiences?

Thanks
Page 1
    • LewisHamilton
    • By LewisHamilton 3rd Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    LewisHamilton
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    http://www.government-grants.co.uk/free-insulation

You can apply here.
    • macman
    • By macman 3rd Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    Why do you need a 'professional'? Laying loft insulation is about the easiest DIY job possible, as long as you have access, and avoid putting your foot through the ceiling. The only skill required is operating a large pair of scissors...
    If you leave it until the end of winter, then what you would pay for the material will be more than cancelled out by the energy savings.
    NB: without insulation, your loft should be hot, not cold.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • principlecounts
    • By principlecounts 3rd Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    principlecounts
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    Without knowing your energy provider, try:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation#bginsulation

E.ON and NPower don't require you to be customers with them.

EDF and SSE have conditions.

I've scheduled for E.ON and NPower for a visit.
    Student loan: £9186.62@31/03/2017 (1.5%)
    Mortgage 1: £207,350.52/£210,474.00 (Dec 2017) (1.38%) until Aug 2019
    Mortgage 2: £148,371.33/£148,500.00 (Dec 2017) (2.14%) until Aug 2019
    Dining Furniture Set: 233/1130 (Dec 2017) (0%)
    Carpets: 500/1250 (Oct 2017) (0%)
    2017 Saving Challenge: Personal: £2050/£2000 - DONE.
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 3rd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gorie
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

That government grants website looks fairly shady... But I'll give them a go...

Macman: I would put my foot through the ceiling thats the issue... Also the whole house (loft aside) is cold I take your point thou no use waiting until the end of winter. PS in the videos I've seen online they cut the insulation with a saw! 170mm is a little thick for my scissors.

Unfortunately I read EONs T&Cs (https://www.eonenergy.com/about-eon/media-centre/eon-offers-free-cavity-wall-and-loft-insulation-for-homes-across-britain-1/) and as my cavity does not need insulating I will not qualify for free loft insulation - Why don't they tell you this on the main site?!

I guess I'll be braving the attic...
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 4th Dec 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:43 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:43 AM
    It's worth phoning the main energy suppliers asking about deals on loft insulation. A while back there were rolls available for £1 a roll, inc free delivery (for DIY installing). I took advantage but can't remember which supplier it was... At the time similar rolls were £11 from DIY stores, so quite a saving.
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 4th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gorie
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    Just called five main suppliers and nothing. Again - just wait for the free home visit / assessment.

I get the impression these visits are used to sell insulation and their services to those who do not qualify but I will wait and see...
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    It's worth phoning the main energy suppliers asking about deals on loft insulation. A while back there were rolls available for £1 a roll, inc free delivery (for DIY installing). I took advantage but can't remember which supplier it was... At the time similar rolls were £11 from DIY stores, so quite a saving.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

Npower did that, but it was quite a number of years and I think it was dependent on taking two forms of upgrade eg cavity wall insulation, too.

Another point is that you need to take adequate precautions to protect yourself from damage by individual fibres.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 23,560 Thanks
    jk0
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    If you do it yourself, you can put board stilts in place first, and then board over the insulation to still give you some storage.
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    Buy it from Wickes or whoever has an offer on, then pay someone to fit it. Half a day's work. The cold weather is already here, so why wait around for an assessment?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 6th Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gorie
    Insulation shops online seem cheaper - gonna buy from them and get a personal respirator!
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Dec 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,725 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi

We've got loads of insulation and are pretty toasty .... if there's absolutely no insulation & you keep your house at anywhere near 'normal' temperatures, an immediate DIY approach could pay for itself before spring arrives ...

Have a look at offers in the DIY sheds as they usually have deals on around now & plenty of stock ... we were in one of them within the last couple of weeks and they had rolls at (from memory) around £10(ish) ... also don't worry too much about cutting, an old pair of wallpaper shears seem to have done the job pretty well here ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter