Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 3rd Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,531Posts
    • 546Thanks
    Katykat
    Sofa stain insurance
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    Sofa stain insurance 3rd Dec 17 at 10:10 AM
    I took this out when I bought 2 sofas 18m ago. Recently had a small ( 50p sized) tea stain on 1 seat cushion. Guy came to clean it & mentioned in conversation that the product he uses is bleach based. I questioned this but not too deeply as I have had a stain cleaned previously and all was ok, although that was a water stain. Anyway, after the cushion dried there is now a larger ( fist sized) area where the colour has bleached. I contacted the company and they have given me 2 options. A replacement cushion but have stressed that there is a high likeleyhood that it would be a different shade than the original or £30. I have replied, without expressing a preference, that I donít think the 2nd option is a fair comparison with the 1st, ie £30 is neither here nor there. The original suite was £1000. Would I be too unreasonable to expect them to provide 2 new cushions which would at least match each other although they wouldnít match the other sofa or indeed the rest of the suite. Iím not asking for a whole new suite but I do expect them to make good their mistake.
    A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 3rd Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    It would depend on the policy wording.

What does the wording say about replacing cushions etc?
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 3rd Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    The general terms state that they may replace the damaged part if it can’t be repaired or any cash settlement will be limited to the equivilant cost of repair or replacement. The devil is in the detail really as I feel it would cost more than £30 to replace the cushion. But to replace the cushion I would end up with a mismatch. And it’s not even my fault.
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 3rd Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    A thought has just crossed my mind. When we bought the sofas ( from DFS) the salesman brought a cup of black coffee to us as a demonstration to sell the stain protection plan. He dipped 2 samples in the coffee, 1 with the Guardsman protection, 1 without. Of course the one without stained the sample & the one with it didn’t stain at all. But nowhere on the paperwork does it state that the sofas have been sprayed with any kind of protective cover. Only that we have purchased a 5 yr fabric protection plan. I’m beginning to feel a bit apprehensive about this.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 3rd Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    If the policy states that if it doesn't match they will replace both - great (will usually be referred to as undamaged items cover). If not, then they will only replace the one cushion cover as that is all they're obliged to replace under the policy.

Why do you feel the £30 is not enough money? The £30 is likely the discounted cost it would cost the insurer to replace the cover - not the cost it would necessarily cost you on the high street to replace the one item - and this is all they have to offer.
    Last edited by FutureGirl; 03-12-2017 at 7:45 PM.
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 3rd Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    [QUOTE- and this is all they have to offer.[/QUOTE]

So I have to accept either a mismatched cushion or a bleached cushion, even though itís not my fault? Seems a bit weighted in their favour.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 4th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    sofa stain insurance is a gimmick imo, much like boiler cover, your better off saving your own money into a repair pot and dipping into it ad hoc. At least no exclusions and no disputes.

We cover our sofa when no guests around with a sofa cover
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 4th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    [QUOTE We cover our sofa when no guests around with a sofa cover[/QUOTE]

We did cover it. Tea went through the throw. To be fair, the tea stain was only small. The bleach stain is worse.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    [QUOTE- and this is all they have to offer.
    Originally posted by Katykat
    So I have to accept either a mismatched cushion or a bleached cushion, even though itís not my fault? Seems a bit weighted in their favour.[/QUOTE]

You accept either a mis matched cushion, or the £30 - as per the policy documents.

It isn't the insurers fault someone spilt tea on the sofa either.
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 4th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Katykat
    But it’s the insurers fault that their product bleached the sofa
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin