Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 3rd Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 841Posts
    • 113Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Facebook incident with colleagues?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    Facebook incident with colleagues? 3rd Dec 17 at 9:44 AM
    I started my job late August and I've never had a minute's bother with it. I enjoy the job, always say yes to overtime, and my 13 weeks probation was up around two weeks ago, and I've never been called into the office within 15 weeks so I assume I've passed it. The job itself is to help support me whilst I'm at university but they do offer a graduate scheme to be trained up for management which I wanted to apply for as I'll be finishing university next year and enjoy working where I do.

I worked a full 8 hour night shift Friday night - Saturday Morning, and I'd been placed with a guy from the agency, he'd had no prior experience to that kind of workplace nor even training in this one, so I had to spend the full 8 hours showing him the ropes and he was finding it a struggle, spent the entire shift asking me when our break was, then when we had it, he was asking if we get any more..

It was long, but I got home thinking that maybe if they've got me training people up like that then I'm moving up in the job and they trust me to show the ropes.

Then later, one of the assistant managers tagged me in something on Facebook, joking about the entire morning and the guy I was working with basically saying the other guy was in control of me (he was quite a big beefy guy) and we went on to say he was quite a scary guy. All was well and good, until another colleague posted that he got no help, 'F' the company and 'F" us all he said. Where the assistant manager jokingly said I nominated myself to take over, and I replied saying I don't mind, I quite enjoy the guy's role when I took over once before. But my other colleague started ranting about how I messed up, how I'm lazy, I don't do anything around the place, and even added that I should tie a rope around my neck, and if we were joined at birth he'd rip his arm and leg off to get away from me. For my assistant manager to turn around and say he's more use for a chocolate fireguard than me, and another assistant manager who basically said I'm a lazy student and a drain on society.

I'm trying to get out in a place and earn myself a living to support my education, so I don't get how I'm a drain on society, nor do I agree with other comments about tying a rope around my neck, because if he said that to somebody else one day who's to say they wouldn't? I just don't get the situation though, if anything I was saying I enjoy my job..

I was just going to leave it and just keep my head down on Monday but the more I think about it, the more it's getting to me. I don't want a reputation around there as a 'grass' but at the same time I don't want them to be in control of me losing my job, as I need the job. My friends last night also saw the comments and told me I should report it higher up as it is bullying and they all ganged up on me out of nowhere.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Jlawson118; 03-12-2017 at 9:49 AM.
Page 2
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 3rd Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 6,172 Thanks
    theoretica
    One of the assistant managers blocked me, meaning I can't delete my initial comments which lands me in deeper water
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    Not a situation I have ever had, but can't you still delete it on the activity log on your page?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 3rd Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    The one who blocked you, is that the young one who was swearing? Can you imagine why they blocked you? And to think that you have been tagged into something else, i feel they are just bullying you or consider you a soft target.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 3rd Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 10,026 Posts
    • 8,082 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Mag==rag as they were known.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    I thought they were "ragmags". Some were very good, but haven't seen any for years.
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 3rd Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Zeni
    In a lot of ways I agree with sangie. If you are worried this will hang over your head you could be proactive and go to them yourself and say what happened and admit what you were at fault for. I feel like from what you've said and if they are seniority what they have done is far worse than what you have said such as suicide comments they weren't called for.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 3rd Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Any of a persons friends can tag them in something unless you change the setttings in Facebook. Very harsh to get sacked because a friend tagged you in something but like you say you don't know how it works I would guess many employers don't either and might think the person tagged themselves (which you can also do).
    Originally posted by Leo2020
    My friend who I mentioned above who's colleague lost her job, he told me to be careful what I tag him in so that he doesn't get into trouble. So I asked "How does ME tagging YOU in something affect your job?" And he said it's basically down to association with a person, that they're communicating with the wrong people or something like that.

Bit harsh in my opinion though as it wouldn't be his fault. But we both just send each other funny memes or videos through messenger now and don't often tag each other in anything publicly whether it's a bit risky or not
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 3rd Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Hmm. I'm concerned about this. Someone has blocked you. Which suggests that since this took place they have decided that the conversation was inappropriate. At best that means that they think you are an idiot. The worst case scenario is that they are going to raise this in work. I'm glad that you've learned a lesson - and I'm going to disagree with Aquagirl, but if you have seen the number of people dismissed because their trusted friend they work with reported something, you would never use Facebook, never mind include work colleagues in your trusted categories. I spend more time defending people on Facebook issues than almost anything else now. Even your friends and family can rat you out- it only takes one person to have a reason, and you may not even know what that reason is!

I think I'd have to say now that you can't ignore this. You need to speak to this manager, explain that in hindsight you believe that you've been very stupid being led along this path, and you would like to delete the comments but can't do so unless they let you. At this stage, as long as they stand, you are going to always be in danger of them coming out. Best to be proactive in addressing this. Whatever had been said by who now is history - what comes of it may not yet be.

And if that doesn't work, it's not a guaranteed strategy, but I'd be tempted to go to HR or my manager and " report myself"! Not complaining about the other comments, but simply explain it as you have here, that it all got out of hand, you've learned a tough lesson and you'd rather he heard it from you and not from someone else. If they then choose to act on the mobbing against you, that's up to them - but at the very least, it's you that gets the thefoot in door before someone else does.

Lesson 4 - join a union, so when everyone else lets you down, at least there's one person still trying to help you. Technically you are in a union, but I'm not sure how much help they can give in a workplace.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    I got put in a certain department at work a few months ago that I was struggling to work in and was getting my main manager being very pushy towards me when I was struggling, so back then I was advised by a witness to join the union and I did My manager since then I've not really had a minute's bother with in other departments of my job. At the end of the day though I can understand him being pushy because he's being pushed around by his management
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 4th Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 4,234 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Even your friends and family can rat you out- it only takes one person to have a reason, and you may not even know what that reason is!
    Originally posted by sangie595
    It doesn't even require somebody you know directly to 'rat you out'. The borders of Facebookland are so porous that something you post can easily move outside the area you intended it for.
    I never used Facebook when I was working (now retired) but do now use it to a limited extent to keep in touch will a few people I used to work with. I would never discuss anything about the work environment with them because of the risk that an innocent comment could get them into trouble. The most I've ever asked was if one of them was still in the same office because I knew they were looking to move when I was there.
    I can understand why Sangie says never have work colleagues as Facebook friends. You may be careful never to discuss work, but you can still get caught up if you are tagged in somebody elses comments.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 4th Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    You recognise that you've been silly, but you are still 'friends' with these people...why? Remove them and keep work/private life separate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,365Posts Today

7,959Users online

Martin's Twitter