Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scrimper13
    • By Scrimper13 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Scrimper13
    RHT meter
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    RHT meter 3rd Dec 17 at 9:10 AM
    Hiya I'm wondering if anyone can help me with regards to my electricity meters. I live in a housing association house which is all electric and is heated by storage heaters. I have two meters and have been informed that one is an RHT meter which means someone in a place miles from me decides when my heading should come on and for how long! I assume that there are rough set hours but was told that if the forecast is bad they will put it on for longer. Now my problem is I seem to only have the option of EON and I can't do any comparison sights as it's not an option and my electricity is creeping up. Is anyone else with this who are with a different supplier? Or can I change it away from RHT or will that be even pricier?
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated
    Thank you
Page 1
    • misterbarlow
    • By misterbarlow 3rd Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    misterbarlow
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    RHT is a very old tariff you can no longer get, but can stay on historically as suppliers cant force you off it, but once its removed its gone for ever.

Its a preset tariff with preset times set on the timing device on the meter in the property depending on what actual RHT tariff you are on, nobody can 'change' the times it comes on and off if the weather changes.

Generally RHT tariffs are generous, often giving between 10-15hrs of off peak, usually something like 7-12 hours anywhere between 10pm to 10am and then often a midday boost of 2-3 hours between 11am-2/3/4pm etc. It varies!

Its up to you to just turn your equipment on and off accordingly if its not needed for all of those hours.

Generally its a good tariff (which is why you cant get it anymore) as your other 24hr meter is normally on a normal single rate ppu and not an inflated peak rate ppu, as you would get on a single E7 meter etc...
    • Scrimper13
    • By Scrimper13 4th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Scrimper13
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    Unfortunately as it's storage heaters I can't just turn them on and off as required I just have to go with when they're on or turn them off completely. I think its only for my storage heaters and my water. Would I be better on something like economy 7 instead? I was informed by an eon representative that although there is a general preset time I think it was sse who controlled it and would put it in longer if the weather is particularly cold. It wasn't my meter it went through.
    • macman
    • By macman 5th Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 41,423 Posts
    • 17,044 Thanks
    macman
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    No it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper. Go onto any comp site and enter your consumption and % split on E7 (it won't let you compare RHT tariffs). If it's cheaper, then you will have to pay for the new metering required for E7, plus any rewiring on your side of the meter.
    E7 does not alter times or duration according to the weather: you get 7 hours in a period determined by the local DNO, typically midnight to 7am, or 1am to 8am. Your supplier cannot choose or vary those hours.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,478Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter