Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rome1067
    • By rome1067 3rd Dec 17, 7:57 AM
    • 182Posts
    • 13Thanks
    rome1067
    Tesco Mobile Price Increase
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:57 AM
    Tesco Mobile Price Increase 3rd Dec 17 at 7:57 AM
    Please be aware when comparing mobile phone deals that most of the deals Tesco are advertising are 30 months which means they are no longer competitive with their prices. A new iPhone 6s with Tesco sounds good on the Black Friday deal of £24.99 per month but that is a whopping £749.
    I know some people will want to keep their monthly payment down but people need to be aware. An extra 6 months doesn't sound much but it does make a big difference in prices.
    I've got four phones with Tesco but will gradually move away as they come to renewal. Shame because Tesco used to be brilliant for phone deals but not anymore
Page 3
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 7th Dec 17, 10:57 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Shrimply
    The prominent logos act as muppet badges so no need for those.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Show me an example of a cheap phone whose logo isn't equally prominent. Ironically it applies less to high end phones because they have mostly dropped any branding on the front to make space for more screen.

It's just really sad that people aren't allowed to decide how to spend their money without being deemed "muppets" by some individuals that seem to deem all technological advances as gimmicks.

OLED screens give increased battery life is that a gimmick?
    Quality cameras take excellent photos, is that a gimmick?
    Is fast charging a gimmick?
    Is being waterproof a gimmick?

You get what you pay for, and it's your choice how much you spend and what features are useful to you. But to then maintain that any features you aren't prepared to pay for are gimmicks is ridiculous.
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Dec 17, 11:04 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    That's more like it, because phones have become so expensive, it needs better regulation, funnily enough, that's what it says in the report I linked to..

1. Do you want them banned after a certain price? NO
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges? Already answered by pmduk
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”? Think they have enough problems
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on? No, because they might well be able to afford it, refer to question 2.
    Originally posted by boatman
    I would have had more respect for you if your argument was solely based on more stringent credit checks so to lower the risk of people getting into debt but the fact that you labelled people muppets and fanboys earlier and then indirectly confirmed it means I have no respect for your argument. I really detest people who sit and judge others and label those people to make them sound inferior or stupid.

But hey your entitled to call people whatever you choose just like I’m entitled to call out crap like that.
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 6,750 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    d123
    Sorry, do I have to dig out other mobile phone names for balance or to fulfil your? Why did I need to highlight that iPhone is just an example? You are the only person making this 'point'.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    What does that have to do with your initial post and first response?

Your lack of knowledge of phone brands is immaterial, you stipulated “iPhones” and I replied there are now many makes available at >£750. You then became argumentative asking where you singled out iPhones and I posted where you did. Understand now?

Perhaps research before making erroneous statements in future and you won’t look quite so ignorant.
    ====
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 7,726 Posts
    • 5,590 Thanks
    pmduk
    Let me clarify, I believe all prominently logo badged brands are muppet badges - on most fmcg products
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 7th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    You calling them gimmicks and pretty graphics adds nothing to the discussion because that’s all you think an expensive phone is and you have no explanation as to why people buy them or appreciation as to why people buy them (inward thinking)

There is a lot of things i don’t buy in life but I can still appreciate and understand why people buy those things. Also I have an appreciation of what goes into advancing technology and moving things forward.

I’m all for discussion if it’s based around what someone requires. So if someone has certain requirements for a phone and has a budget or looking for a good mobile phone deal then people should offer up suggestions based on those requirements.

Your post had nothing to do with what the OP had said and just came across as a gripe against expensive phones and mobile phone contracts.

The cheapest way is to always buy your phone separately with no added interest and have the data plan separate. But if someone wants to do it over 24 months and pay extra I won’t jump into the timeline and declare that the phone is just pretty graphics and gimmicks.
    Originally posted by john22
    And after your umpteenth post on this subject, rather than coming up with something constructive to even prove part of what I have said as wrong, you have just continued moaning about my right to tell people what to spend their money on, even though i havent said that.

Time for a lie down....
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 7,726 Posts
    • 5,590 Thanks
    pmduk
    Ironically it applies less to high end phones because they have mostly dropped any branding on the front to make space for more screen.
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    They tend to move their logos to the reverse of the handset to be seen by everyone else!

My main problem with top-end handsets are those people who buy them sheep-like because of the brand, not because of the feature or the quality, and often get themselves into financial trouble as a result. But we should be blaming marketing people at the manufacturers not the networks who just respond to the demand.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 7th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Actually, the marketing people are doing a great job. Everything is driven by marketing today - from manufacturers to politicians. Not much you can do about the supply side, so it's really down to people being savvy and grounded. Where they are they should be able to make their own decisions. Where they act like sheep they will stay sheep.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 7th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    What does that have to do with your initial post and first response?

Your lack of knowledge of phone brands is immaterial, you stipulated “iPhones” and I replied there are now many makes available at >£750. You then became argumentative asking where you singled out iPhones and I posted where you did. Understand now?

Perhaps research before making erroneous statements in future and you won’t look quite so ignorant.
    Originally posted by d123
    Perhaps research the meaning of 'erroneous statements'. Iphones > £750 = correct statement.

Nowhere in my post whatsoever did I claim that Iphone was the only phone costing over £750. Perhaps to satisfy you I should have spent about half an hour preparing for posting here researching every single phone available, so I could list every (for example) 50 phones, so that you cant tell me there are more.

You seem like the only one making this fatuous argument about my Iphones comment. Have a lie down.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 7,726 Posts
    • 5,590 Thanks
    pmduk
    Actually, the marketing people are doing a great job. Everything is driven by marketing today - from manufacturers to politicians.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Perhaps I'm just turning into Victor Meldrew then! sadly the fact I remember him proves the point.
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    And after your umpteenth post on this subject, rather than coming up with something constructive to even prove part of what I have said as wrong, you have just continued moaning about my right to tell people what to spend their money on, even though i havent said that.

Time for a lie down....
    I never said your telling people what to buy which you keep going on about. Its the fact that you can't understand that others get enjoyment from it and all you can do is drop into a thread and gripe about something that does not interest you.

You cant even open your mind to the fact that people see value where you don't.

Why people think they need Iphones is beyond me. It seems like too many people are seduced by pretty graphics and gimmicks
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    I would have had more respect for you if your argument was solely based on more stringent credit checks so to lower the risk of people getting into debt but the fact that you labelled people muppets and fanboys earlier and then indirectly confirmed it means I have no respect for your argument. I really detest people who sit and judge others and label those people to make them sound inferior or stupid.

But hey your entitled to call people whatever you choose just like I’m entitled to call out crap like that.
    By calling someone a muppet for spending a £1000+ really isn't the end of the world, If they have the money or not I still think its not a wise decision, at the end of the day its my opinion.
    Ok, perhaps i should have used sheeple, as fanboy seems more offensive

The real issue is people getting in to debt, the mobile industry happy to see it continue, with slack regulation they are having a field day, but you seem more concerned about the word 'muppet'.
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    • 6,750 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    d123
    Perhaps research the meaning of 'erroneous statements'. Iphones > £750 = correct statement.
    Nope, it’s an incorrect statement and therefore erroneous (you do know what erroneous means don’t you?), not all iPhones cost more than £750, you are wrong, plain and simple. Also, there are other brands that aren’t iPhones that cost more than that as well.

Nowhere in my post whatsoever did I claim that Iphone was the only phone costing over £750. Perhaps to satisfy you I should have spent about half an hour preparing for posting here researching every single phone available, so I could list every (for example) 50 phones, so that you cant tell me there are more.
    Yes, you did. Twice...

If you had meant phones in general you’d have said “phones”. You thought you were being clever when you were actually being stupid.

You seem like the only one making this fatuous argument about my Iphones comment. Have a lie down.
    Nope, that’s you, but keep digging.

PS, there’s no such thing as an “IPhone”, are you trying to refer to the iPhone?
    ====
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    By calling someone a muppet for spending a £1000+ really isn't the end of the world, If they have the money or not I still think its not a wise decision, at the end of the day its my opinion.
    Ok, perhaps i should have used sheeple, as fanboy seems more offensive

The real issue is people getting in to debt, the mobile industry happy to see it continue, with slack regulation they are having a field day, but you seem more concerned about the word 'muppet'.
    No I object to people who label or judge others for what they do with their money.

Duh of course it’s not the end of world but I will call people out who point at others and think less of them because they do not follow their narrow minded ignorant view.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    No I object to people who label or judge others for what they do with their money.

Duh of course it’s not the end of world but I will call people out who point at others and think less of them because they do not follow their narrow minded ignorant view.
    I feel the narrow minded ignorant view is to allow the current abuse by mobile companies to continue under the premise of free will.
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    I feel the narrow minded ignorant view is to allow the current abuse by mobile companies to continue under the premise of free will.

look if people need protecting from mobile phone companies then consumer organisations, ofcom and MP's can discuss and investigate and make changes where they see fit.

I don't know what the answer is as I am not part of those 3 bodies or got into any difficulty with mobile payments since I first had a phone back in 2001. For me to come out and name call people in a demeaning way for the free choices that they're allow to make within the current legal framework is to be ignorant and narrow minded.

I think its a great that your concerned about how mobile phone companies could create part of the debt problem and maybe you can join one of these consumer bodies and be part of of bringing change to that part of the industry. But I'm sorry your not helping your argument or cause when you single out people and label them in demeaning ways just because they buy something that you don't think is needed.

Somehow I can't see Martian Lewis coming on TV to argue for better regulation of mobile phone contracts and calling people who buy expensive phones muppets, fanboy or sheeple or whatever demeaning word that I've seen you type.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 7th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    I don't support the gullible, but whenever do-gooders try to protect them it makes things a lot worse for them AND everyone else. I can immediately think of examples in banking and credit cards but attempting to reign in stupidity at the expense of both the stupid and the street wise is not something to be encouraged. Not all people buying iphones are muppets whilst some people obtaining cheaper phones on expensive contracts may be. No-one is forced to be a muppet or can be protected from being one - just as people choosing anything with their eyes wide open must be allowed to do so. It is their money, their choice and their own inclination to be a muppet or not.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    I see no harm in calling someone a muppet, hopefully it cause some to think twice. I'm not alone in thinking the cost of mobiles has got somewhat silly in the past few years.
    For people to go out and spend big money on a car you need big money, whereas phones are seen as something anyone can buy. Some are marketed as premium products and are seen as a must have. Part of the problem is that lots have them, this encourages more to follow, why not, their friends have them, why shouldn't they? Its not like a posh TV tucked away in a house, phones are in your face 24-7, acting as a constant advert for the product, drawing people in like a magnet.
    Lots can easily afford them, well done the marketing department, job done, sadly there are those who really shouldn't buy.

I would certainly agree that heavy handed regulation causes issues, but it certainly look like more should be done. £50 a month for one phone shouldn't cause a problem, but when there are several in the family it soon adds up and has clearly, given the report by Citizen's advice, had an impact.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    I see no harm in calling someone a muppet, hopefully it cause some to think twice. I'm not alone in thinking the cost of mobiles has got somewhat silly in the past few years.
    For people to go out and spend big money on a car you need big money, whereas phones are seen as something anyone can buy. Some are marketed as premium products and are seen as a must have. Part of the problem is that lots have them, this encourages more to follow, why not, their friends have them, why shouldn't they? Its not like a posh TV tucked away in a house, phones are in your face 24-7, acting as a constant advert for the product, drawing people in like a magnet.
    Lots can easily afford them, well done the marketing department, job done, sadly there are those who really shouldn't buy.

I would certainly agree that heavy handed regulation causes issues, but it certainly look like more should be done. £50 a month for one phone shouldn't cause a problem, but when there are several in the family it soon adds up and has clearly, given the report by Citizen's advice, had an impact.
    So we have a subset of people out of all the people who have mobile phone contracts who get into debt. Within that number we have another subset of people who get into debt because part of the mobile phone contract is paying off a flagship expensive phone.

Your solution is to label everyone who buys expensive phones a muppet or whatever demeaning name you wanna call them in the hope that the person who would get into debt with a expensive phone stops and thinks and doesn’t do it.

Please don’t give up your day job to become a expert on money and debt issues. What you could do though is work at citizen advice and when these people come through the door looking for advice when in debt you can call them a muppet. Be prepared though that a small subset of those people might punch you in the face.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 8th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    People have to take responsibility for their own actions. It is sad that we seem to have gone in the opposite direction for decades but that doesn't make the direction right. When regulators dabble (often in things they actually don't understand) they usually make things worse for most - often including those they are claiming to help.

You can't prevent weak people from succumbing to peer pressure whereas those who are sensible and responsible should not be thwarted by the heavy hand of regulation. How and why should you restrict the cost or number of contracts in a household? The nanny state should be made redundant and just ensure there is education, fair competition and penalties for abuse.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    Can I suggest reading the report:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/policy/policy-research-topics/consumer-policy-research/consumer-policy-research/falling-behind/

Its like talking to the NRA or Forest, free will rules supreme, but only if you have a vested interest, regardless of the outcome..

As I said, I still think spending £1k on a phone is a daft thing to do, regardless of your income, in the same way I think spending £200k on a new Ferrari is daft(at least buy one that will appreciate).

I presume you are keen to make drugs legal under the same free will?
    Last edited by boatman; 08-12-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: ii
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,553Users online

Martin's Twitter