Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rome1067
    • By rome1067 3rd Dec 17, 7:57 AM
    • 182Posts
    • 13Thanks
    rome1067
    Tesco Mobile Price Increase
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:57 AM
    Tesco Mobile Price Increase 3rd Dec 17 at 7:57 AM
    Please be aware when comparing mobile phone deals that most of the deals Tesco are advertising are 30 months which means they are no longer competitive with their prices. A new iPhone 6s with Tesco sounds good on the Black Friday deal of £24.99 per month but that is a whopping £749.
    I know some people will want to keep their monthly payment down but people need to be aware. An extra 6 months doesn't sound much but it does make a big difference in prices.
    I've got four phones with Tesco but will gradually move away as they come to renewal. Shame because Tesco used to be brilliant for phone deals but not anymore
Page 2
    • boatman
    • By boatman 6th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    I wish we had someone who was trained in psychology to explain why people who have no desire in something have to then label others or think something is not right with them when they have that thing that they don’t want.
    Originally posted by john22
    Would be handy, because I'd like to know why some people spend £1000's on stuff when they don't have the money.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 6th Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    I wish we had someone who was trained in psychology to explain why people who have no desire in something have to then label others or think something is not right with them when they have that thing that they don’t want.
    I wish some people had the nous to realise that this is an open discussion and as long as nothing causes offence then you should be able to say what you want.
    • john22
    • By john22 6th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    I wish some people had the nous to realise that this is an open discussion and as long as nothing causes offence then you should be able to say what you want.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    yip its a discussion and i still wish for someone trained in psychology to explain it.

Don't know if its something to do with comparing oneself to another and trying to validate the decisions they have made in life. To somehow reinforce those decisions so they don't think they have made mistakes.
    • john22
    • By john22 6th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    Would be handy, because I'd like to know why some people spend £1000's on stuff when they don't have the money.
    Originally posted by boatman
    If you don't have the money then you cant buy it unless you're totally against all form of lending which then has nothing to do with phones and more to do with your ideology with regards to money. Which then would be surprising because you live in a democratic and free market society so its concerning you don't understand.
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 6th Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Shrimply
    So you don't think that telling people that they have spent money on "pointless gimmicks" and basically making them out to be idiots for their choices is likely to cause offence?

If you are happy with the quality of the camera on your budget phone then that's great, it doesn't mean that the pictures it takes are comparable to more expensive devices. I bought my phone outright, I know exactly how much it cost and I'm completely happy with my decision. I'm sorry that is beyond your understanding.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 6th Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    yip its a discussion and i still wish for someone trained in psychology to explain it.

Don't know if its something to do with comparing oneself to another and trying to validate the decisions they have made in life. To somehow reinforce those decisions so they don't think they have made mistakes.
    Yeah because I forgot that buying a phone was a big life decision..... The regret one feels not spending hundreds of pounds on a similar item to what they actually bought...

I actually think its more to do with actually having a point.
    • john22
    • By john22 6th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    Yeah because I forgot that buying a phone was a big life decision..... The regret one feels not spending hundreds of pounds on a similar item to what they actually bought...

I actually think its more to do with actually having a point.
    yip and the point is you can't see why others buy something that you wouldn't buy which is sometimes called being inward thinking.
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    And? Iphone is clearly an example of an expensive phone....
    Which is not what you said, if you want to be argumentative at least have a foundation for your argument.

You specifically stated iPhone (twice)...
    ====
    • boatman
    • By boatman 6th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    If you don't have the money then you cant buy it unless you're totally against all form of lending which then has nothing to do with phones and more to do with your ideology with regards to money. Which then would be surprising because you live in a democratic and free market society so its concerning you don't understand.
    "Greg came to his local Citizens Advice with over £3,000 in debts across six different phone contracts. Greg had bought a new phone, with a new contract every year, and had been able to do so despite outstanding debts
    on his existing contracts."
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/policy/policy-research-topics/consumer-policy-research/consumer-policy-research/falling-behind/

Can I suggest some reading material before passing comment on whether people have the money or not.

As for me, I'm fine thanks, but other are clearly not.

• john22
    • By john22 6th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    "Greg came to his local Citizens Advice with over £3,000 in debts across six different phone contracts. Greg had bought a new phone, with a new contract every year, and had been able to do so despite outstanding debts
    on his existing contracts."
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/policy/policy-research-topics/consumer-policy-research/consumer-policy-research/falling-behind/

Can I suggest some reading material before passing comment on whether people have the money or not.

As for me, I'm fine thanks, but other are clearly not.

Welcome to real life were nothing is black and white and people don’t always follow your life choices or mines or anyone else’s.

Do you really think there has been a time in history when someone does not get in above their heads when it comes to money or owning others something that they can’t repay?

Stop focusing on phones and go away and figure out why some people get into debt that they can’t repay and others don’t. Then come up with a policy that is fair and allows access to loans.

By the way while doing that then figure out how business and countries get access to capital also as sometimes business go bust owing money and countries have to refinance their debt.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 6th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    Welcome to real life were nothing is black and white and people don’t always follow your life choices or mines or anyone else’s.

Do you really think there has been a time in history when someone does not get in above their heads when it comes to money or owning others something that they can’t repay?

Stop focusing on phones and go away and figure out why some people get into debt that they can’t repay and others don’t. Then come up with a policy that is fair and allows access to loans.

By the way while doing that then figure out how business and countries get access to capital also as sometimes business go bust owing money and countries have to refinance their debt.
    Perhaps you should take the time to read what I suggested:

These systemic issues are not unique to the mobile phone sector - successful action has been taken to tackle similar problems in the water, energy and financial services markets.

In the second and final section we therefore consider whether similar steps could be taken to address these problems in the mobile phone market.
    Last edited by boatman; 06-12-2017 at 7:38 PM. Reason: ii
    • john22
    • By john22 6th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    Perhaps you should take the time to read what I suggested:

These systemic issues are not unique to the mobile phone sector - successful action has been taken to tackle similar problems in the water, energy and financial services markets.

In the second and final section we therefore consider whether similar steps could be taken to address these problems in the mobile phone market.
    right so how is that got to do with expensive phones ?

Where is the link back to your earlier post

You really would need to be a complete muppet to pay that for a Huawei!! At least an iPhone keeps some of its value, you can then sell it to another fanboy who likes to be easily parted with their money.. Let's face it, all those iPhone screen repairers need to be kept in work.
    If you want to change how people access money then take your issues to the money boards and don't call people muppets for buying a phone or label people who buy iPhones fanboys.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    right so how is that got to do with expensive phones ?
    This is part of the conclusion from Citizens Advice:
    Mobile phone contracts are a substantial financial commitment. Currently
    networks allow consumers to build up levels of debt which are far beyond their
    ability to pay, either through selling inappropriate contracts or allowing
    practically unlimited spending. Networks can also pursue consumers for
    substantial sums which are the result of criminal activity. Avoidable errors during
    the contract exit process can also result in the accrual of unnecessary debts and
    leave marks on customers’ credit records - affecting their ability to take out loans
    in the future. Networks need to take more responsibility for mitigating these
    risks.

As stated by Citizens Advice, much of the problem is caused by the mobile phone companies, its in their interest to sell expensive phones.

Anyone would think some of those on this mobile board have an interest in that, while being adamant its all about a persons right to spend their money how they like. It sounds very similar to the NRA and their obsession with the 2nd amendment and a persons rights, when really its about profit.

This article is from 2013 and mentions iPhones costing £500 and the debt problems, some iPhones now cost over double that, so I think its easy to see that the problems are now increased:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2499074/Thousands-debt-mobile-phone-bills-Number-calls-helpline-rises-15-year.html

This is a mobile phone industry problem, hence why its here and not on the money board.
    Last edited by boatman; 07-12-2017 at 8:35 AM. Reason: ii
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 7th Dec 17, 8:54 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    yip and the point is you can't see why others buy something that you wouldn't buy which is sometimes called being inward thinking.
    Yes I can see why. I have explained why. Gimmicks and impression that a particular phone is superior and the fact that an implement that costs over £1,000 is seen as affordable as it spread over 24 months

On the subject of inward thinking nevertheless, you have just added 'well people can buy what they want', which doesnt actually add anything to the discussion. You could use the same simple response to any forum on here discussing costs/worth/quality of item....
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 7th Dec 17, 8:57 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Which is not what you said, if you want to be argumentative at least have a foundation for your argument.

You specifically stated iPhone (twice)...
    Originally posted by d123
    Sorry, do I have to dig out other mobile phone names for balance or to fulfil your? Why did I need to highlight that iPhone is just an example? You are the only person making this 'point'.
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    This is part of the conclusion from Citizens Advice:
    Mobile phone contracts are a substantial financial commitment. Currently
    networks allow consumers to build up levels of debt which are far beyond their
    ability to pay, either through selling inappropriate contracts or allowing
    practically unlimited spending. Networks can also pursue consumers for
    substantial sums which are the result of criminal activity. Avoidable errors during
    the contract exit process can also result in the accrual of unnecessary debts and
    leave marks on customers’ credit records - affecting their ability to take out loans
    in the future. Networks need to take more responsibility for mitigating these
    risks.

As stated by Citizens Advice, much of the problem is caused by the mobile phone companies, its in their interest to sell expensive phones.

Anyone would think some of those on this mobile board have an interest in that, while being adamant its all about a persons right to spend their money how they like. It sounds very similar to the NRA and their obsession with the 2nd amendment and a persons rights, when really its about profit.

This article is from 2013 and mentions iPhones costing £500 and the debt problems, some iPhones now cost over double that, so I think its easy to see that the problems are now increased:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2499074/Thousands-debt-mobile-phone-bills-Number-calls-helpline-rises-15-year.html

This is a mobile phone industry problem, hence why its here and not on the money board.
    As I have said before debt has always been around since money has been invented. I can pull stories from the past with regards to anything....

1. Easy access to credit cards.
    2. Mortgage debt.
    3. Christmas.
    4. Car leasing.

The government can pass laws to tighten how easy it is to access money BUT I can still spend MY money on what I WANT within the confines of what the legal framework is!

So what exactly is it you want to do with expensive phones...

1. Do you want them banned after a certain price?
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges?
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”?
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    pmduk
    The prominent logos act as muppet badges so no need for those.
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    The prominent logos act as muppet badges so no need for those.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Do you wear a “I’m bitter and judge others” badge?
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    john22
    Yes I can see why. I have explained why. Gimmicks and impression that a particular phone is superior and the fact that an implement that costs over £1,000 is seen as affordable as it spread over 24 months

On the subject of inward thinking nevertheless, you have just added 'well people can buy what they want', which doesnt actually add anything to the discussion. You could use the same simple response to any forum on here discussing costs/worth/quality of item....
    You calling them gimmicks and pretty graphics adds nothing to the discussion because that’s all you think an expensive phone is and you have no explanation as to why people buy them or appreciation as to why people buy them (inward thinking)

There is a lot of things i don’t buy in life but I can still appreciate and understand why people buy those things. Also I have an appreciation of what goes into advancing technology and moving things forward.

I’m all for discussion if it’s based around what someone requires. So if someone has certain requirements for a phone and has a budget or looking for a good mobile phone deal then people should offer up suggestions based on those requirements.

Your post had nothing to do with what the OP had said and just came across as a gripe against expensive phones and mobile phone contracts.

The cheapest way is to always buy your phone separately with no added interest and have the data plan separate. But if someone wants to do it over 24 months and pay extra I won’t jump into the timeline and declare that the phone is just pretty graphics and gimmicks.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    BUT I can still spend MY money on what I WANT within the confines of what the legal framework is!
    That's more like it, because phones have become so expensive, it needs better regulation, funnily enough, that's what it says in the report I linked to..

So what exactly is it you want to do with expensive phones...

1. Do you want them banned after a certain price?
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges?
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”?
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on?
    1. Do you want them banned after a certain price? NO
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges? Already answered by pmduk
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”? Think they have enough problems
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on? No, because they might well be able to afford it, refer to question 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,155Posts Today

5,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin