Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Power Kitten
    • By Power Kitten 3rd Dec 17, 1:58 AM
    • 194Posts
    • 43Thanks
    Power Kitten
    Halifax Overdraft Fees
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:58 AM
    Halifax Overdraft Fees 3rd Dec 17 at 1:58 AM
    Hello

I'm a bit confused and wondered if anyone can help. I have a current account with Halifax and need some help understanding overdraft fees.

They've been charging me the daily fee based on every £7 I borrow, which I understand is a newish development. But, I've just checked my account and have found they've charged me for the month, too, at £1 per day that I've been in my overdraft (which is planned; I've not gone over it). Rather inconveniently, this has left me with nothing to live on until I get paid next week.

Surely I shouldn't be paying two different daily fees for my overdraft? I've reviewed their site and it makes no mention of this £1 daily fee in their overdraft guidance. Obviously I'll be giving them a call, but I wondered if anybody else has had this problem, or if I'm missing something?
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 3rd Dec 17, 2:05 AM
    • 29,614 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:05 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:05 AM
    The £1 per day charges are for October, under the old charging method, ie a month in arrears as they've always been.

The new daily charges are for November, when they started.

So there's a 'double cost' month (a catch up)...but don't forget you had a 'free' month (or even two!) when you first started using your overdraft facility.
    • Power Kitten
    • By Power Kitten 3rd Dec 17, 2:06 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Power Kitten
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:06 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:06 AM
    They even have a message on their customer service line stating the changes to their overdraft fees, so this really makes no sense at all.
    • Power Kitten
    • By Power Kitten 3rd Dec 17, 2:08 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Power Kitten
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:08 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:08 AM
    The £1 per day charges are for October, under the old charging method, ie a month in arrears as they've always been.

The new daily charges are for November, when they started.

So there's a 'double cost' month (a catch up)...but don't forget you had a 'free' month (or even two!) when you first started using your overdraft facility.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Oh, I guess that makes sense. Thanks. The account had been under their Control service though, where my overdraft fees were waived. Hmm.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 3rd Dec 17, 2:14 AM
    • 29,614 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:14 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:14 AM
    Oh, I guess that makes sense. Thanks. The account had been under their Control service though, where my overdraft fees were waived. Hmm.
    Originally posted by Power Kitten
    I thought "Control" waived unplanned overdraft fees, not planned overdraft fees?
    • Power Kitten
    • By Power Kitten 3rd Dec 17, 2:20 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Power Kitten
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:20 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:20 AM
    I thought "Control" waived unplanned overdraft fees, not planned overdraft fees?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I had contacted them to report financial difficulties and they may have waived charges due to that as a goodwill gesture, rather than their Control rules.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 3rd Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    I thought Control was £10 per month to avoid bank charges ie no returns fees or unauthorised borrowing fees.
    I didn't think you could get an overdraft facility if you used the Control facility.
    As these charges have now been abolished there is no need for this facility and the £10 charge has now gone.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

3,045Users online

Martin's Twitter