Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jgallcash
    • By jgallcash 3rd Dec 17, 1:19 AM
    • 600Posts
    • 80Thanks
    jgallcash
    Solid State Drive Cloned. Next Steps?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:19 AM
    Solid State Drive Cloned. Next Steps? 3rd Dec 17 at 1:19 AM
    Hi guys,

I've bought an SSD for my HP laptop running Windows 10 which I am fitting in place of the dvd drive in a specalised caddy.

I've installed and cloned the drive so now I have four rater than two drives. Original Windows Drive and original backup partition and the two replacements on the ssd.

I've opened up the bios options and tried to change the boot order from the original drive to my ssd but it's not letting me select. It lists the two drives but pressing enter doesn't change the boot order.

My plan is to use the original drive for storage only and to run windows and the main office programs (low number of programmes) from the ssd. I had planned on doing a fresh install of windows after the cloning and everything was finished.

Where do I go from here? Do I reformat the original drive and retry the bios once there is only one windows boot drive available?

Any advice would be welcome.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Dec 17, 4:30 AM
    • 26,229 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:30 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:30 AM
    Depends on the BIOS, but you dont usually press enter you use the + add - keys to move the drive up/down the boot order.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 3rd Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 5,077 Posts
    • 2,715 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    Why not replace the original hard drive with the SSD, and put the hard drive in the caddy?

That way you won't need to change the BIOS settings.
    • were
    • By were 3rd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    were
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    I would have done a clean install.

Now you have to check all the drives, possible sort out the sector sizing and then and check that trim is enabled
    • jgallcash
    • By jgallcash 3rd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    jgallcash
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    Hi,

I've managed to change the boot order in the Bios so it's working now. Thansk for the advice on that.

I was planning on doing a clean install once I got the ssd working. When I initially inserted it - it wasn't showing. I seemingly had to clone in order to get it to come up in "my computer /This PC"

So my question now is...

How do I wipe the old disk and do a fresh install of Windows 10?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin