Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ce91
    • By ce91 2nd Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ce91
    Will the dentist ruin my credit score?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    Will the dentist ruin my credit score? 2nd Dec 17 at 11:53 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm aware that my title sounds a bit ridiculous, but I'm honestly furious! Long, boring story short a month or so ago I attended an emergency dentist and had treatment done. I've never really had to pay for treatment before since the last time I attended was approx. 9/10 years ago. Informed by the dentist it would be £170 and when I asked him about instalments he told me to sort it out with the receptionist. I done just that and was told to "just pay what I can" and told her I'd pop in after each payday with around £70/80 until it was paid, so that was that sorted or so I thought!
    2 weeks later I had 4 missed calls from the practice manager while I was at work, when I called back I was informed that I would have to pay the remaining balance ASAP and that they do not offer treatment prices in instalments. I apologised and we agreed that I would pay the remaining balance 3 weeks later to allow me to work a few bank shifts to scrape the money together. The manager sounded sympathetic and understanding and said she was happy for this arrangement.
    A week after the phone call I received 5 letters informing me of my bill, I contacted the dentist each time and informed that I would have to discuss this with the practice manager, however she was on annual leave. This Thursday when I got paid I paid the full balance and arranged my next appointment, now aware that I would have to start saving up. Then today (Saturday) I received a letter from a debt collection agency! I am so angry, after that snake of a woman telling me that she was happy with the arrangement I feel furious!
    Basically my question is: will this affect my credit file? At the moment I'm on good ground, I've worked so hard over the past year to pay of my loan and credit card to start looking into buying my own place and I'm scared this will muck it all up. Most of all I'm angry at myself for being so trusting over the phone, normally I'm quite savvy about getting things in writing via email/letter but she sounded so genuine on the phone!

Apologises for the late night rambling, any advice would be very much appreciated!
Page 2
    • ce91
    • By ce91 3rd Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ce91
    So why didnt you just pay it with the credit card which you said you had paid off?
    Originally posted by McKneff

When I paid it off I just closed my account to boost my credit!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Dec 17, 4:43 PM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,918 Thanks
    silvercar
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I check my credit score regularly via clear score and get regular updates, I've worked so hard over the past year and getting that letter in just made me really angry. I did actually pay the bill 2 days before the letter came through the door, should I contact the debt company and inform them of this?
    I'm planning on calling the dentist again on Monday and speaking to the manager to request I'm taken off the books and finding a new dentist asap!
    Originally posted by ce91
    No such thing these days. If you don't want to make another appointment then just go elsewhere, no obligation to letting this dentist know that you won't be coming back.

Dental treatment on the NHS in England & Wales has only 3 possible charges:

Band 1: £20.60 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.
    Band 2: £56.30 covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
    Band 3: £244.30 covers all treatment included in Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

I can't see a £180 on that list, suggesting that something was private.
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    Lenders like to see evidence of long standing accounts that are used responsibly. So you would have been much better off continuing to use the card and pay it off in full monthly, which is what lenders like to see.

If you now have no credit cards at all then this will be a negative factor when you apply for any credit in the future.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 4th Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Not boost your score I hope, since it's non-existent in the real world
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 4th Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 4,267 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I did yes, after my treatment I paid £60 when the receptionist told me I could pay 'as and when'. Pretty stupid of me to accept her word for it really, I've learned my lesson!
    After your first issue, you should have got something in writing (paper or email) to confirm 'the arrangement'. A quick e-mail to them would have sufficed as they would have almost certainly replied to make the situation clearer.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 4th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Did you obtain and keep safe receipts for the sums you paid, proving that the full amount has now been paid?
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • draiggoch
    • By draiggoch 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    draiggoch
    No such thing these days. If you don't want to make another appointment then just go elsewhere, no obligation to letting this dentist know that you won't be coming back.

Dental treatment on the NHS in England & Wales has only 3 possible charges:

Band 1: £20.60 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.
    Band 2: £56.30 covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
    Band 3: £244.30 covers all treatment included in Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

I can't see a £180 on that list, suggesting that something was private.
    Originally posted by silvercar

Band 3: £233.70 in England, £185 in Wales
    Band 3 includes treatment like crowns, dentures and bridges
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

325Posts Today

2,073Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin