Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ce91
    • By ce91 2nd Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ce91
    Will the dentist ruin my credit score?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    Will the dentist ruin my credit score? 2nd Dec 17 at 11:53 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm aware that my title sounds a bit ridiculous, but I'm honestly furious! Long, boring story short a month or so ago I attended an emergency dentist and had treatment done. I've never really had to pay for treatment before since the last time I attended was approx. 9/10 years ago. Informed by the dentist it would be £170 and when I asked him about instalments he told me to sort it out with the receptionist. I done just that and was told to "just pay what I can" and told her I'd pop in after each payday with around £70/80 until it was paid, so that was that sorted or so I thought!
    2 weeks later I had 4 missed calls from the practice manager while I was at work, when I called back I was informed that I would have to pay the remaining balance ASAP and that they do not offer treatment prices in instalments. I apologised and we agreed that I would pay the remaining balance 3 weeks later to allow me to work a few bank shifts to scrape the money together. The manager sounded sympathetic and understanding and said she was happy for this arrangement.
    A week after the phone call I received 5 letters informing me of my bill, I contacted the dentist each time and informed that I would have to discuss this with the practice manager, however she was on annual leave. This Thursday when I got paid I paid the full balance and arranged my next appointment, now aware that I would have to start saving up. Then today (Saturday) I received a letter from a debt collection agency! I am so angry, after that snake of a woman telling me that she was happy with the arrangement I feel furious!
    Basically my question is: will this affect my credit file? At the moment I'm on good ground, I've worked so hard over the past year to pay of my loan and credit card to start looking into buying my own place and I'm scared this will muck it all up. Most of all I'm angry at myself for being so trusting over the phone, normally I'm quite savvy about getting things in writing via email/letter but she sounded so genuine on the phone!

Apologises for the late night rambling, any advice would be very much appreciated!
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 3rd Dec 17, 12:18 AM
    • 7,905 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:18 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:18 AM
    I would imagine that of all the things a dentist could possibly do to you, ruining your credit score is about the least of your worries..!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 3rd Dec 17, 12:19 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:19 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:19 AM
    Basically my question is: will this affect my credit file?
    Originally posted by ce91
    No - it's very, very unlikely that a dentist would be sharing information with a credit reference agency...

... unless they take you to court and you get a CCJ.

... and arranged my next appointment ...
    But I guess they could refuse to give you any further treatment, if they decide you are a 'bad payer'.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 3rd Dec 17, 1:05 AM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    boliston
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:05 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:05 AM
    They would need to go to court and get a ccj, and even then you would have time (i think 30 days) to pay before it would have any impact on your credit score
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,914 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    Find a new dentist. If they are so shoddy and contradictory over payment schedules they could also be lapsing in other areas.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 3rd Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    They would need to go to court and get a ccj, and even then you would have time (i think 30 days) to pay before it would have any impact on your credit score
    Originally posted by boliston
    Ouch! Impacted credit scores can be quite painful.

To be serious though, you should be fine but you should check your credit report regularly anyway. You can do this free for the three credit reporting agencies as follows:

Experian via MSE Credit Club
    Equifax via Clearscore
    Callcredit via Noddle
    Last edited by RG2015; 03-12-2017 at 8:54 AM.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 11,060 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    Find a new dentist. If they are so shoddy and contradictory over payment schedules they could also be lapsing in other areas.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    The work completed needs to be paid for though, all I can see that maybe shoddy from the thread is the OP's attitude to paying, wants the work done NOW but pay much later....or as and when.
    I'm semi sure (although I wasn't there) that reception explained the payment options available , not to pay as and when.
    Even at the quoted agreed plan then that's 3 months to clear the bill, to me by the time the letters arrived there would only be one more installment at the most to be outstanding.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 3rd Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    Are you not an nhs patient?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 3rd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    Are you not an nhs patient?
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    NHS patients still have to pay unless they have an exemption certificate or are on JSA etc.
    • ce91
    • By ce91 3rd Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ce91
    The work completed needs to be paid for though, all I can see that maybe shoddy from the thread is the OP's attitude to paying, wants the work done NOW but pay much later....or as and when.
    I'm semi sure (although I wasn't there) that reception explained the payment options available , not to pay as and when.
    Even at the quoted agreed plan then that's 3 months to clear the bill, to me by the time the letters arrived there would only be one more installment at the most to be outstanding.
    Originally posted by DUTR

No, the receptionist DID inform me that I could drop in as long as it was paid before my next appointment, which was supposed to be the 10th of December. Over just a few weeks I received numerous letters informing me of my bill despite discussing it with the practice manager. I don't believe my attitude is 'shoddy', I trusted the receptionist AND the practice manager who said they would give me time. They didn't even give me 3 months to pay the bill, I would be lucky if they even gave me 3 weeks!
    • ce91
    • By ce91 3rd Dec 17, 12:10 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ce91
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I check my credit score regularly via clear score and get regular updates, I've worked so hard over the past year and getting that letter in just made me really angry. I did actually pay the bill 2 days before the letter came through the door, should I contact the debt company and inform them of this?
    I'm planning on calling the dentist again on Monday and speaking to the manager to request I'm taken off the books and finding a new dentist asap!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 3rd Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    • 12,665 Posts
    • 11,994 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I check my credit score regularly via clear score and get regular updates, I've worked so hard over the past year and getting that letter in just made me really angry. I did actually pay the bill 2 days before the letter came through the door, should I contact the debt company and inform them of this?
    I'm planning on calling the dentist again on Monday and speaking to the manager to request I'm taken off the books and finding a new dentist asap!
    Hi,

Dentists do not hold a consumer credit license, so :

(A) Cannot offer credit

(B) Report to a credit reference agency.

The debt collector was only acting on behalf of there client, so again, cannot report to a credit reference agency.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 3rd Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 11,060 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    No, the receptionist DID inform me that I could drop in as long as it was paid before my next appointment, which was supposed to be the 10th of December. Over just a few weeks I received numerous letters informing me of my bill despite discussing it with the practice manager. I don't believe my attitude is 'shoddy', I trusted the receptionist AND the practice manager who said they would give me time. They didn't even give me 3 months to pay the bill, I would be lucky if they even gave me 3 weeks!
    There is still the now and then, the bill has to be paid and promptly.
    Did you make ANY payments between your last and next appointment?
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 3rd Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Pretty sure nhs emergency appointment doesn’t cost £100s
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 3rd Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 12,665 Posts
    • 11,994 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Pretty sure nhs emergency appointment doesn’t cost £100s
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    Charges are the same throughout the NHS no matter how, where, or when you access them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 3rd Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 35,705 Posts
    • 45,975 Thanks
    McKneff
    So why didnt you just pay it with the credit card which you said you had paid off?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 3rd Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 11,060 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    Charges are the same throughout the NHS no matter how, where, or when you access them.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Depends on the emergency appointment though, if it was a private clinic and out of hours, then treatment is expensive and usually somewhat more than £170 depending on what was done/required, the £170 sounds at the rate of something that maybe perhaps could have waited (but I'm no dental practioner).
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 3rd Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    k3lvc
    So why didnt you just pay it with the credit card which you said you had paid off?
    Originally posted by McKneff
    My dentist won't accept credit card - don't know how common that is - but it doesn't stop me taking cash from the card to pay an urgent bill

OP - good luck with finding another NHS dentist if you've already !!!!ed one off
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 3rd Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 11,717 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    It does sound as if the dental practice is one that concentrates on giving good treatment and is not terribly clued up about money. I would forgive them getting confused about how to make arrangements for a late payer, and just make sure that I had the money available to pay for any future treatment.
    • ce91
    • By ce91 3rd Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ce91
    There is still the now and then, the bill has to be paid and promptly.
    Did you make ANY payments between your last and next appointment?
    Originally posted by DUTR

I did yes, after my treatment I paid £60 when the receptionist told me I could pay 'as and when'. Pretty stupid of me to accept her word for it really, I've learned my lesson!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin