Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AquaGirl
    • By AquaGirl 2nd Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 12Thanks
    AquaGirl
    42 WOW
    Who else shops at all the supermarkets?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    42 WOW
    Who else shops at all the supermarkets? 2nd Dec 17 at 11:33 PM
    Ok maybe not all of them. I recently got it put to me that it was strange that i have a look online for the price of my shop in advance which can result in me shopping at Morrisons, Asda & Sainsbury's (Tesco's is too far away). They're all on the route home so i just stop off at each depending what is cheaper where.

Workmates think i'm crazy and should just shop at one spot as that is "what normal people do". I blame my husband who's always trying to look out best deals which has rubbed off on to me. Am i an oddball or are there enough people here who'd back me up? lol
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 3rd Dec 17, 2:15 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:15 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:15 AM
    How much do you save each shop doing it that way compared to say shopping in Asda and using their 10% cheaper voucher. You can max the Asda voucher by paying for items already 10% cheaper separately.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 18,571 Posts
    • 47,809 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    I have an Aldi (fairly new to me), Tesco Extra and Iceland within walking distance.
    I also have a freezer-come-end-of-line shop that has some interesting things that I don't see in the major supermarkets.
    Plus a local butcher-come-deli-come pie shop.

OH does the big shop at Tesco and I toddle round the others with my shopping trolley picking up things that catch my eye.
    I'm retired so can afford the time.

ETA:
    I do pay for the things I 'pick up'.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 03-12-2017 at 9:33 AM.
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 3rd Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    Clowance
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    I visit different supermarkets (aldi,tesco, sainsbury, asda, lidl, not morrisons as too far) over a couple of weeks picking up most of the shop at aldi and going to others for branded, depending on who is cheapest. I don't think you are weird.
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 3rd Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 7,220 Posts
    • 10,143 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    We shop at Tesco & Iceland online each every 4-5 weeks, visit Lidl semi regularly, Sainsbury's often for small items (typically when I've a Nectar deal) and local market for the majority of my fruit & veg.

Maybe "normal" people do it all under one roof, but they are not smart people IMO, especially with all the technology available now to price check.
    Last edited by KxMx; 03-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    • bonus2010
    • By bonus2010 3rd Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bonus2010
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    I use ALDI, ASDA, Morrisons, B&M Stores, Farmfoods, Home Bargains, Iceland, Lidl, Poundland, Poundstrecher for shopping and have separate shopping lists of the items I buy for each of those stores which are selling for the cheapest prices. No I’m not normal and I know this because I often watch other customers put stuff in their trolley and they don’t even bother looking at the price… I don’t do it because I need to save money, it’s just part of who I am, preferring the best deal.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 3rd Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 290,804 Thanks
    DUKE
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    I check online daily for bargains, & shop everywhere as I get a real thrill out of getting the best price. I've never just shopped in one supermarket & can't imagine doing so.
    Thanks everyone!
    • parmavioletuk
    • By parmavioletuk 3rd Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    parmavioletuk
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    I do my main shop in Sainsbury's - I work there so I get staff discount - but I often check prices online and go shopping around for the best prices, especially at this time of year! I recently made a trip to Tesco to buy many packs of Bendicks Bittermints because they were down to £3 (and to get a free BOL veg pot with the Shopmium app), and tomorrow I plan on going to Asda to get some Toffifee. We've just had an Aldi open locally too, so I'll probably get there soon, especially as The Times had a cheese taste test last week that recommended their Parmesan. I think so long as you're not being silly about it (i.e. spending more on petrol/bus fare than you are saving) it's perfectly sensible to shop around!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 30,419 Posts
    • 19,230 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    I use ALDI, ASDA, Morrisons, B&M Stores, Farmfoods, Home Bargains, Iceland, Lidl, Poundland, Poundstrecher for shopping and have separate shopping lists of the items I buy for each of those stores which are selling for the cheapest prices. No I’m not normal and I know this because I often watch other customers put stuff in their trolley and they don’t even bother looking at the price… I don’t do it because I need to save money, it’s just part of who I am, preferring the best deal.
    Originally posted by bonus2010
    Oh I certainly agree with what your saying, well your comment about not looking at the price.

So many customer just go for what they believe is the cheapest, yet if they just take a second to look at the other options they could save money. A litre of spirits is cheaper than the 70cl and vice versa yet customers dont look.

Thats just 1 example but others are available.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 6th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I donít use Aldi, ASDA, Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsburys, B&M Stores, Farmfoods, Home Bargains, Iceland, Poundland or Pound stretcher for shopping as they are too far

What does leave? Waitrose and Lidl, next door to each other, ~ 12 miles return.
    • ladybabe
    • By ladybabe 7th Dec 17, 1:37 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    ladybabe
    to be honest i have a aldi, asda, morrisons and lidl all within a mile of home so worth the extra exercise to walk to the cheapest deals also a jack fulton near work that have surprisengly good deals. m&s, sainsburys, iceland and waitrose are a little further so has to be a decent deal to get me there and tesco near me is awful so don't.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Dec 17, 1:48 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Given the way supermarkets current trend is reducing the number of products, I find it better to shop at different places when I can. to get a good range.

I find as soon as I start to love a product my local small stores drop it. Other people have no taste ;-) And even in bigger stores differnet ones have different products.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    • 18,571 Posts
    • 47,809 Thanks
    Pollycat
    to be honest i have a aldi, asda, morrisons and lidl all within a mile of home so worth the extra exercise to walk to the cheapest deals also a jack fulton near work that have surprisengly good deals. m&s, sainsburys, iceland and waitrose are a little further so has to be a decent deal to get me there and tesco near me is awful so don't.
    Originally posted by ladybabe
    I have one of these close to me.
    It's not somewhere you can do a full shop but they do have some stuff that you never see in the major supermarkets.
    Rachel's yogurt is delicious and less than half the price it is in Tesco - and I've never seen the 2 varieties that I've currently got in my fridge.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 43,303 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I shop at Lidl, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose.

Lidl is my first port of call, get in there before 9am otherwise it's too damn busy, and stock up on the basics. That's about 2 mins from home.

Next to Tesco, there are a few specifics I get there then see if the general stuff is on offer. Tesco is about 5 mins from Lidl.

Next Sainsbury's for the remainder, if something isn't on offer in Tesco it usually is in Sainsbury's. It's about 10 mins from Tesco.

Waitrose is in the opposite direction so I only go there if i need specific things I can't get in the other 3, probably only go once or twice a month.

My parents do all their shopping in Sainsbury's, I find that strange.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 7th Dec 17, 12:28 PM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 72,193 Thanks
    hamsterfan1
    we shop at tesco and waitrose and my pizza from iceland We would have to pay public transport to get to avny others
    prood gran to 4 lovely boys
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 60,993 Posts
    • 356,252 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    They're all on the route home so i just stop off at each depending what is cheaper where.
    Originally posted by AquaGirl
    I'd do that if shops were all on my route. Maybe one shop/day, not all shops every day. I'd get into a habit of which shop on which day, over time.

As for sitting at home and actively planning on going out to go to all the shops to get the best prices, it's not worthwhile because it'd be very rare that any savings could be made that were greater than the cost of travelling to them all.

I've got a L1dl/4ldi that I use most often, then a Sainsbobs (which is expensive and has few products of interest to me).

4sda & Mr T are a 16 mile round trip, in stop/start traffic with lots of traffic light queues.... so I do it once a year to get products I can't get at the others.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 7th Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    micky2phones
    Hi, I find it funny when online shopping just before checkout.

It says have you forgot something, an item you brought before
    which now is at a higher price, but i only brought that item because
    i felt it was value for money.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Dec 17, 1:39 PM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 127,613 Thanks
    JackieO
    I try to check with My supermarket first to see how much stuff is before I shop ,but have cut my shopping trips back to 2-3 times a month now so few impulse buys

Mainly Aldi,and occasionally W'rose if I have a voucher or asda,sometimes lidls but not so much now I have a local Aldis opened up before I would drive to Sittingbourne as do Aldi,Lidls and Morrisons but not worth the petrol now as Aldi is just up the road.Asda perhaps on a saturday night for the reductions but not often now the weather is cold .
    Last edited by JackieO; 07-12-2017 at 1:42 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 13,613 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I do.

I'm in a lucky position where I have all the big 4, Waitrose, Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, Farmfoods within 6 miles of home.

My usual food shop is Asda. Then Sainsburys. Use the mysupermarket app for prices

Today, I visited Tesco as it was only half a mile from hairdressers and had a £9 off £60 coupon. You can redeem these coupons against alcohol and clothing as they work on the scan and go tills, even though the T&Cs say not valid on booze and clothing. Purchased £36.50 on cognac, cider and beer. Also, I bought some things so I don't need to go out tomorrow.

There will be a new Lidl opening about 1.5 miles from here in the late spring. The nearest two are a PITA to get to. Though not venturing until its been open for 2 months as it will be chaos.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin