Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 2nd Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 16Thanks
    lovehols
    Getting a full survey
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    Getting a full survey 2nd Dec 17 at 10:43 PM
    Yay, today we had our offer accepted

We are planning to get the basic valuation from our mortgage company and then want a separate full survey (not a homebuyers). It is canal side property (detached bungalow, some flat roof extension added some point later) property circa 1950's (we think, but may be 20-30 years older, vendor inherited it so doesn't know), we have big plans architecturally and it is on a big plot and we want to know everything about the property in terms of structure and things like if there is any potential Japanese KW (common near canals) and it also has a small wooded area so this needs checking too.

I realise a full survey is likely to cost and want to get some prices. I've seen a few places mention RICS but can anyone point me in the right direction.

I know it's early days yet, but after losing two properties (gazumped on one and else lady dropping out on the other) we are hoping it's third time lucky. We've been looking for over 2 years!!
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 2nd Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 5,790 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    I realise a full survey is likely to cost and want to get some prices. I've seen a few places mention RICS but can anyone point me in the right direction.
    Originally posted by lovehols
    The RICS website
    https://www.rics.org/uk/
    contains a link to finding RICS member surveyors in your area, and some background on what you can expect from the various types of surveys.

Note: I don't know a great deal of Japanese knotwood, but I have a feeling it dies back completely over winter and reappears again in spring, so a survey carried out now may not be able to detect it even if it is present.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 2nd Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    https://www.rics.org/uk/
    https://www.ricsfirms.com

Good luck!
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

2,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin