Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scroogemcduck2
    • By scroogemcduck2 2nd Dec 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    scroogemcduck2
    Repeated account opening
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:56 PM
    Repeated account opening 2nd Dec 17 at 9:56 PM
    Hi. I have opened two Tesco current accounts this year, and within a month switched to another bank to earn the switching bonus. I was considering actually just opening one now and keeping it because the rate is pretty good, but slightly nervous about opening another one. Are there any limits to how many you can open in a certain amount of time? Could I get refused?
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 2nd Dec 17, 10:18 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:18 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:18 PM
    To clarify, you opened two accounts with Tesco and switched both away within one month?

When you apply for an account it is always possible to get refused... but if the above is correct then you've probably significantly increased the probability of being refused by Tesco if you apply for a third time.

If you aren't planning on making any other applications you probably don't have anything to lose, but don't be offended if they do say 'no'.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • scroogemcduck2
    • By scroogemcduck2 2nd Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scroogemcduck2
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    Yup, that's correct.

How bad would it look for credit score if it was refused? And would it jeopardise other account openings (with other banks)?
    I've opened quite a few current accounts this year, including about 4 switches. So maybe my credit rating is in the toilet at the moment anyway?
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 2nd Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    I wouldn't open loads prior to a mortgage application but I did open 19 current accounts in a 6 month period including 4 on one weekend. Only had one rejection for the HSBC Advance account, they did offer their standard account though. I think the HSBC account was application number 17.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 38,001 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    Whatever you do keep a record of the dates ( month & year) you opened all these accounts because they are the kind of multi choice questions they ask if you fall foul of the fraud department! or even when they do a credit check to prove you are the person you claim to be.
    I failed one question when I opened the Yorkshire a/c recently... it wasn't a problem but certainly delayed matters.

Lloyds is particularly good at this!( the fraud bit!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter