Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 2nd Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 9,833Posts
    • 51,598Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    The price/cost of lazyness.
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    The price/cost of lazyness. 2nd Dec 17 at 9:29 PM
    I was in Tesco earlier, and fancied some dates.

The difference in price, between pitted and un-pitted was shocking.

An 800 gram box of un-pitted dates cost £3-75, which is £4-69 per kilogram.

A 200 gram tray of pitted dates cost £2, which is £10 per kilogram.

More than double the price, for the convenience of not chewing round the stone?

No thanks!
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 02-12-2017 at 9:38 PM.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
Page 2
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 3rd Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 5,826 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I buy some pre-prepped veg because my hands can't cope with prepping; especially hard veg like squash (I can cope with courgettes, onions are a bit slippery to be sure I won't lose a finger though)

Other times I know between my full time job, the part time degree I am doing, looking after the people I care for, and trying to have some kind of a social life to keep me sane, having a bag of prepped salad that I don't need to think about is most likely to lead to me eating well and looking after myself.

It's the half way house for me between cooking from scratch and ready meals.

Nice you think I'm lazy though."Isn't prepared fruit and veg expensive" might be a kinder thread title. do let me know when you are volunteering to come and stone fruit for everyone else.
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Dec 17 grocery challenge £89.65/ £120
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 3rd Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 7,864 Posts
    • 26,692 Thanks
    Primrose
    Which is why they come in so handy around Christmas - all that lush food, usually very little exercise & therefore dates with all that lovely fibre? Win-win-win!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I recommend beetroot. Far cheaper than Ex Lax chocolate!
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 3rd Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    For some of us buying pre-prepped veg is the only option. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis over 30 years ago and my hands don't work especially well when it comes to peeling, chopping etc.

Poor choice of phrasing OP.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 3rd Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,483 Thanks
    unforeseen
    They're lovely chopped up in health muffins minus the stones lol

CTFG
    xx
    Originally posted by Casperthefriendlyghost
    I love muffin with dates. You just gotta dive straight in
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Also in our house if you were bad tempered and grumpy it was "dose of syrup of figs for you madam" as my late mum believed it was a cure for grumpiness
    Originally posted by JackieO
    A double dose is a surefire cure for a cough.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Nice you think I'm lazy though."Isn't prepared fruit and veg expensive" might be a kinder thread title.
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Except you don't "prepare" dates. You simply chew around the stone, and spit it out.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Poor choice of phrasing OP.
    Originally posted by CruisingSaver
    I wasn't referring to pre-prepped veg.

I was referring to dates, which you de-stone in your mouth. There's no preparation involved.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I love muffin with dates. You just gotta dive straight in.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Pun intended?

• Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Dec 17, 3:25 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Farway
    I love muffin with dates. You just gotta dive straight in
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I see what you did there, <snigger>
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 3rd Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    Tink_04
    The price of ‘lazyness’ Is more than just £ for some people tho - sometimes pre prepared stuff is essential for some people and helps them manage a lot easier. I would rather pay the but extra and be able to cope cooking or prepping a meal for my family. Dates on the other hand are awful anyway!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 3rd Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    I wasn't referring to pre-prepped veg.

I was referring to dates, which you de-stone in your mouth. There's no preparation involved.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Yes I'm sure it would be appreciated if I de-stoned dates in my mouth for use in cooking!

Nice attempt at a dodge though OP.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 3rd Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    Tink_04
    The cost of convienience may be better for a title ...?
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 3rd Dec 17, 6:06 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    For some of us buying pre-prepped veg is the only option. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis over 30 years ago and my hands don't work especially well when it comes to peeling, chopping etc.
    Originally posted by CruisingSaver
    Wow, as pre-prepared veg has been a pretty recent phenomenon did you suffer from malnutrition/starvation before the advent of said pre-prepared veg?
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 3rd Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 5,826 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Wow, as pre-prepared veg has been a pretty recent phenomenon did you suffer from malnutrition/starvation before the advent of said pre-prepared veg?
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    People with arthritus can often slice stuff but it hurts like f****.

So they might be able to use unprepped veg now and be richer but in pain. Not the option I choose. Versus starvation is a different and ridiculous question.

Not enjoying the judgemental people on the board today :/
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Dec 17 grocery challenge £89.65/ £120
    • ChesterBarnacle
    • By ChesterBarnacle 4th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ChesterBarnacle
    One seventh.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Prove it. ...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 4th Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Prove it. ...
    Originally posted by ChesterBarnacle
    I weighed a date. It was 7g.

I ate the flesh off it, then weighed the stone. It was 1g.

• lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 4th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 10,216 Posts
    • 57,567 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Cost of laziness???

Who cares. If I want to buy stoned dates and preprepped veg that’s my affair. Judgemental or what.

Shirley Conran wrote a book called “Life’s Too Short to Stuff a Mushroom”. Great book, full of little cheats and short cuts.

And as people have pointed out preprepped veg can be a boon if you work full time and need to get a meal on the table in record quick time, not to mention those with dexterity problems. And sometimes there is less waste too, especially with salads etc.

My late husband used to say “why have a dog and bark yourself” so yes if I can get someone to do all the chopping, slicing and dicing for me then I will.

Apart from which I am a klutz at times. Last time I struggled with trying to peel and chop some tough old root veg I nearly lopped my fingers off.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 04-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 4th Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 18,728 Thanks
    JIL
    Today i was in the posh supermarket getting the tins of biscuits for the parents Christmas present.

There were nets of nuts in shells and there were packets of ready shelled nuts.
    I thought of this thread and wondered how many people would buy the nuts in shells and sit for hours with the nutcracker, in order to make the vegetarian nut roast.

Cost of laziness or would this be an exception?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    • 14,193 Posts
    • 38,495 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Now I would/do buy ready-shelled nuts - and my suspicion would be that it was little/if at all dearer by the time I'd paid for the weight of the shells and then had to throw them away.

Personally - I won't on the whole buy ready-prepared food. Though I often cba I'll still get my pomegranites whole and remove the seeds myself/buy my courgettes whole and whack them through my spiraliser if courgetti is what I want, etc. I don't want to spend extra money on buying pre-prepared and I believe my food will have that little bit more of its nutrients still in it that way. I also don't want my money to go on "added value" on my foods - for someone else.

However - I can see there will be times where one has to buy ready-prepared stuff like that. As pointed out - those, for instance, whose health isnt up to preparing it themselves. For those that don't have these problems there could be other reasons - as in if I was holidaying where I now live for instance and didnt have a kitchen full of all my usual gadgets = I can see the choice of places to eat out is limited - but I could manage to buy things like courgetti, ready-grated cheese, ready pomegranite seeds, ready noodles, etc from the local supermarket. So I could make a "healthy enough" meal from what's available - rather than try and struggle with finding somewhere to eat out.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 5th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 1,268 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Today i was in the posh supermarket getting the tins of biscuits for the parents Christmas present.

There were nets of nuts in shells and there were packets of ready shelled nuts.
    I thought of this thread and wondered how many people would buy the nuts in shells and sit for hours with the nutcracker, in order to make the vegetarian nut roast.

Cost of laziness or would this be an exception?
    Originally posted by JIL
    I read that when nuts were sold 'already shelled, that under EU regulations they were classed as 'desserts' which automatically added 10% to the cost
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin