Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MWAUGH1983
    • By MWAUGH1983 2nd Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 191Posts
    • 25Thanks
    MWAUGH1983
    Change of job after short time
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    Change of job after short time 2nd Dec 17 at 8:41 PM
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I have recently - in September, started a job. I am finding it tough as they seem over expectant on what they want. I have been told that I must improve over 2 weeks or they may look to bring the probation period forward.

I was wondering has anyone change jobs so soon after starting a job, how has this been worded at any interview.

Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 2nd Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Sarastro
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    Difficult to answer without having a bit more info: what were you doing before this one?

If you are asked, you can just say it was a fill-in whilst you were looking for a job in whatever it is and you think this one will really fit you because..., etc.

I'd avoid saying it wasn't as described or something like that because anything negative might not go well and could lead to further questions. Whatever answer you give make sure it is positive in the interviewer's eyes, i.e. this person left after a short-time because they really want to come and work for us.

If you can't find a positive spin on in, I'd go for something practical e.g. the commute is turning out to be too long - whatever you say, make sure it can't possibly apply to the job you are interviewing for because the first question in the interviewer's mind will be, does that reason for leaving apply here?

Your alternative might be to try and make it work where you are, if that's possible. Has your employer said how you need to improve - it's all very well saying you're not performing well enough, but they also need to say in what way and to tell you what you need to do to improve. Ask for a development plan to help you so that they have to write it down.

If you do decide to go, I wouldn't worry too much about it looking bad, particularly if you've had other periods of employment that have been a lot longer. You can always say your main reason for leaving is that you really want to come and work for them.
    • MWAUGH1983
    • By MWAUGH1983 2nd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    MWAUGH1983
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I was in my last role for 6 years, I saw this job as good progression move and the commute couldnt be better.

The problem is that there are three areas and they have me dealing with all 3 where before it was a certain area people looked at - people in the dept with experience deal with a specific area yet im having to get to grips with three different areas - I just find there is to much to take in.

Where I was previously they were going through a restructure so I was planning on making part of my answer that there was uncertainly where my role would end up and the commute might have been a factor.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 2nd Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    It's a tough one and I'd love to be able to tell for sure but I'm afraid when this happened to me and I chose to walk - my first thought was I need a break as the feedback totally got me for a little while, with long termers and culture set in their ways I was never going to change it and so tried other then my usual line of work to which it became easier. At one point I even considered dismissal as easier to say, if it came to it and also as the previous to last employer gave me a silly letter of reference come confirmation of employment to hand out, I knew it was looking bad and might as well roll with how it looks!

I would worry this situation comes under bad mouthing the employer and yes anything sounds better.

Any chance you can return to a former or associated employer? Someone who already knows your previous conduct. It can happen and for your sanity might be the best thing when caught in a trap.

After all this, my brother who has by far the better longevity of us job wise though actually heart breakingly and I was quite shocked receives regular feedback of not enough 'broad experience' so I no longer see short term jobs as such a bad thing and realise how fortunate I am to come by all that's happened.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • MWAUGH1983
    • By MWAUGH1983 2nd Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    MWAUGH1983
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I no what you mean, it can be a tough one. I left my previous employer for progression and development just hasnt happen.

Im going through linkedin and adding as many people as I can lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

334Posts Today

2,304Users online

Martin's Twitter