Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lindsshopgirl
    • By lindsshopgirl 2nd Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lindsshopgirl
    PPI Reclaim, Cheque problem
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    PPI Reclaim, Cheque problem 2nd Dec 17 at 8:33 PM
    I thought I'd try my luck with an old car loan I had in 2001, and it turns out they have upheld it. At the time, I was young, had no credit history, and my dad was a guarantor for me. He never paid any of the money. The letter was sent in joint names, and after having spoken to the bank issuing the refund, the only way to get a cheque in solely my name, is to have the money split down the middle.

I haven't spoken with my dad in years, I don't even know where he lives now. I would really like to not have to get in touch through other people just to ask him to ring them and ask them to issue it in my name.

If I took the cheque to a high street cheque cashing shop, are they likely to accept it just from me with my ID? Or will they want both of us?
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    The cheque shop will not touch the cheque for the same reason your bank will not accept it - it is payable to both of you.
    You could try a complaint if the original loan was in your name and YOU paid the loan off then a guarantor would not come into it in any way?

Let us know how you get on.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • lindsshopgirl
    • By lindsshopgirl 3rd Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lindsshopgirl
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    I will do, thanks, I've argued with the bank handling the claim already, and I've emailed the ombudsman for the same reason. My dad was only guarantor, I think they've clearly forgotten what that word means, he never paid a penny of it.

I'll see what they come back with, I'm adamant he isn't getting any of the money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter