Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wiggywoo9
    • By wiggywoo9 2nd Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 425Posts
    • 1,632Thanks
    wiggywoo9
    Landlord wants tenant to fit a kitchen?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    Landlord wants tenant to fit a kitchen? 2nd Dec 17 at 8:24 PM
    Hi all,

So I'm currently looking to rent a house. I currently live in a HA flat and want something better for my son. I've found this house in a very nice area, very good schools, lovely garden, accepts pets and children. Bit more expensive than I was hoping to pay but not at the top end yet. And a big plus is long-term let so not upheaval. However! Called the estate agent and she says it's been on the market a while, last tenant was an elderly lady who sadly died. She said the kitchen has no cupboards and pretty bare. The landlord is hoping the new tenant will make it a long-term home but expects them to fit the kitchen in, offering 1 month free rent is they do so. Apparently tenants used to do this in the past.

OK! So that's a pretty tall order- don't want to lose a good place that otherwise ticks all the boxes- what would you do??
    Up and onwards to the future!

Page 1
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 2nd Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 54,312 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    I'd stay in the HA property and try and get a transfer; you will have no security of tenure in the new place.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 2nd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 7,314 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    I’d walk.

Can’t you do a swap with the HA?

I know a little of your story & personally I think you don’t need or deserve this hassle?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • patman99
    • By patman99 2nd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 9,542 Thanks
    patman99
    Depends on how much the rent is.

Could you get some contractor wall units from a wholesaler and simply buy matching doors and draw fronts for less than 1 month's rent?. If so, then go for it.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £759.94/ £1000 (that's 75.49%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 2nd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 5,532 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    If you have a HA flat think very very carefully about giving up your security for the hazards of private renting.

It’s not at all normal or acceptable for a landlord to expect a tenant to fit a kitchen (unless perhaps she’s going to give you a 15 year tenancy to guarantee you’ll get the use of it, but I don’t see that happening) but other landlords won’t treat you much better.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 2nd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Personally, if the price and area are right I’d be tempted to fit a kitchen, but I’d buy it second hand probably from eBay and fit it myself.

Or go retro with something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1940-50-s-Kitchen-larder-Unit-/152811718761
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 2nd Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    Fit the kitchen, or supply and fit the kitchen?

If the former then personally I'd do it for a free months rent but then I have experience in fitting kitchens.

But no, this isn't a usual thing to ask of tenants at all.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 2nd Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 4,964 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    rather depends on who is doing the fitting?

as a LL there is no way I'd let a tenant fit a kitchen unless the tenant was a kitchen fitter by trade. I'd expect to get a reasonable time out of a new kitchen and I doubt an "ordinary" tenant could (or would) do it well enough to ensure that

if the LL expects you to pay for the fitting you are going to get a shock at the size of the bill

if the LL "merely" expects you to be living there rent free whilst ano fits a kitchen then why? that makes no sense, move in after the work is done
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 2nd Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    What else would the landlord want you to replace during your tenancy? The boiler? All the carpets? The roof? Sounds like you're opening yourself up to a huge amount of future hassle with a landlord that can and will say "if you don't replace xyz yourself then I'll issue a section 21".
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 2nd Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Unless your rent is high it won't cover the cost of supply and fitting a fully functioning kitchen which will last for its general life expectancy.

I think the 'LL has a nerve to be honest. This is their asset. They should be maintaining it and letting it fit for purpose.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 2nd Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Do you have a link to the rightmove ad so we can see what the current kitchen looks like and whether it ia salvagable?

I expect this request is the reason it is still on the market.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 2nd Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,654 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Whilst the landlord might be advertising a long term let the reality is that you won’t havd much more than 6-12 months security with an AST. I think you’d be hard push to supply and fit a kitchen for the price of one month’s rent...even a second hand one. I also wonder what you would be expected to repair or replace next.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 2nd Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 5,532 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    This definitely sounds like a landlord who can't afford to be one.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 2nd Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 7,314 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    This definitely sounds like a landlord who can't afford to be one.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Or shouldn’t be one
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 2nd Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Sarastro
    What's the most important thing to you? If it is security, then I would struggle to say this sounds like a good way forward - better to get a different HA place or wait until something better comes along.

If you really want to do the move though, I'd go back with a counter-offer. The LL should appreciate that you will need to get your money's worth out of the kitchen so should offer a longer term (which is what they've said they want anyway) or more than one month's rent. You might be able to get a better deal than what is being offered. Sounds to me as if LL just wants to get it rented out asap.

If you do negotiate a deal be really careful about the standard of kitchen, how much it's going to cost, who is going to do the fitting, who will be responsible if there's a problem with the fitting and all that stuff. Is there a gas supply, if not who will pay if you want one, blah blah.

It is unusual in this country, but completely common in Germany where you will nearly always rent a flat without much of a kitchen at all, and you fit your own. You also probably take it with you when you move.
    • aaroncaz
    • By aaroncaz 2nd Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 8,347 Thanks
    aaroncaz
    Don't give up the HA........you will regret it. I know as I speak from experience, worse thing I ever did.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 2nd Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    cjdavies
    A landlord who can't even bother to sort out the basics - walk away.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 2nd Dec 17, 10:59 PM
    • 42,299 Posts
    • 49,141 Thanks
    G_M
    The key questions to ask yourself are:

1) how much is 1 months rent (ie how much is the landlord 'paying' you for this)?

2) how much will it cost you to
    a) supply the kitchen (or is the LL supplying and just wants tenant to fit?)?
    b) fit the kitchen (can you DIY or need to pay a kitcen fitter?)?

3) how long is the tenancy being offered? No point investing your time & money for 6 months contract. I'd expect 3 years or more (which requires the contract to be Executed as a Deed).

Once you've answered those, and done the maths, then consider

4) how much better is this place than where you are?

5) is it worth losing the security, and reduced rent, of a HA?
    Last edited by G_M; 03-12-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 3rd Dec 17, 12:28 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,570 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Good landlords do not get their tenants to fit their own kitchens. So this landlord is someone that it would not be a good idea to rent from.

Your HA flat is yours for as long as you want it for. This landlord could call 12 months a long term rental. Anyone who would expect a tenant to fit a kitchen could think anything.

The house is expensive and you have to fit your own kitchen? This is not a good rental for someone who needs a lot term let and low rent. Stay where you are.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 3rd Dec 17, 12:59 AM
    • 4,912 Posts
    • 6,882 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Having live in both social housing and private rental, I would not voluntarily move to private rental again. Where I am (social housing) yes its difficult to get repairs done but its different to knowing repairs will not be done. I was in my private rental 4 years, central heating broke down several times a year, the place was freezing and lots of promises from LL to replace if x y or z happened. They did, it still didn't get replaced. The place was very badly done (by a bad DIY person), the LL did nothing about electrics that didn't work properly, a hole in the ceiling, holes in the roof etc.

Then for two years he told me he wanted to sell, I had to do viewings, lots of stress and finally he evicted me. I had no where to go. You really really don't want to face that.

In your situation, as others have suggested I would try to find a HA swap of some sort. Please consider very carefully giving up the security of tenure you have. Private LL's (if you have a bad one) can get away with too much, in spite of legislation. I can't portray how much stress mine caused, trying to push things with me. Again, as has been said, this LL hardly sounds like one of the best. And you have only been told about the kitchen, what about other things that might be wrong in the property you don't know about? Try putting in a false ceiling (as I had to) because the last one fell in and the LL refused to do anything about it (Environmental Health were useless). I had to because my young son (who has ASD) was terrified of insects coming in the black hole (it fell in because of damp). Not pleasant to deal with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,464Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter