Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 2nd Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,814Posts
    • 765Thanks
    isplumm
    New kitchen or not? Advise needed
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    New kitchen or not? Advise needed 2nd Dec 17 at 7:25 PM
    Hi,

We are looking to put our semi detached house on the market.

My wife & I are having a disagreement as to whether we should update the kitchen or not.

It is about 18ft by 10ft and was updated back in 2003, so is now 14 years old & starting to show its age. The style is old farmhouse - but we live in a modern house, so it really needs updating. There is also a crack in the wooden floor tiles.

My view is that with the modern age, we need to update the kitchen, as people will look online, just see a tired kitchen and move on. My wife thinks that people will still visit & try & knock us down in price.

Thoughts?

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 3rd Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    exiled_red
    I agree with the people tempted to leave it, when looking at houses we were more put off by the houses that had new kitchens that we didn't like than the ones that needed replacing. We felt that we were paying the additional expense of a new kitchen that wasn't giving us what we wanted.

The house that we eventually bought was built in the early 1960's and still had the original kitchen which obviously needed replacing when we moved in, but now we have the kitchen that we wanted.

Either way you are likely to put someone off, whatever you do you need to ensure that the house is accurately priced (it is reasonable to assume a house with the kitchen in need of replacement will be on the market for less than if the kitchen was replace).
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 3rd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Best to test the market first, most sellers nowadays find that it is usually a new price they need, not a new kitchen.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 3rd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 6,459 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    A classically designed, well-built kitchen that suits the style of the property will definitely make a house easier to sell, but I'm another that thinks it won't add to the value/you won't get back what it has cost.

We would be put off by a kitchen that was too 'on trend' - think glossy, white, handleless (unless of course it was an ultra modern property, which we wouldn't be interested in anyway ) - and would prefer old, crumbling units that we could replace with our own, admittedly a bit niche, choice.

Several (period) houses we have bought as wrecks projects have had either incredibly dated, barely standing or non-existant kitchens and we have replaced these with handpainted (by me, lol!) traditional style kitchens with plenty of deep drawers, timber/granite worktops and free-standing range cookers.

The kitchens we have fitted have been sympathetic with the style/age of house and have helped us sell faster (six weeks maximum over four house sales) when the time came. We didn't get our money back, with one exception, but in all cases our buyers have said the kitchen was one of the primary reasons for choosing our house.

Our current house had a perfectly serviceable, cheapish, early noughties cream kitchen with horrid, multi-colour tiles and delaminating laminate floor but with granite worktops and an Aga, when we bought it in 2014. The cabinets were falling apart, particularly the drawers. The EA described it as 'high-end' and recently-fitted', whereas we considered it in need of replacement, lol! It's definitely in the eye of the beholder
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 4th Dec 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    isplumm
    Hi all

Thanks for the advice - looks like I should just fix the floor, re-paint & make sure it is clean!!

Declutter - will be interesting with my wife who loves to buy clothes!!

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • anto164
    • By anto164 4th Dec 17, 10:39 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    anto164
    I would leave it as is. Guaranteed that the buyer qould want to change something anyway. When we bought our house, the lady was going to put in a new kitchen, but i wanted to move windows andchange the roof, so she didn't, and that was reflected in the price. Still haven't gotten to do the building work yet, and we still have the original 1960s kitchen...
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 4th Dec 17, 10:50 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 5,208 Thanks
    Loanranger
    We are having our kitchen cupboards painted, new tiles, new flooring, new lighting. Basically just keeping the granite worktop. hope this will help the house to sell when the time comes and meantime we will have a fresh look to an outdated but serviceable kitchen.
    When I look on rightmove and see dated kitchens and bathrooms, I mean nineties or earlier, I groan. I don't want the hassle of finding good tradesmen and putting up with the mess so click away to another property.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,155Posts Today

5,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin