Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 2nd Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,185Posts
    • 212Thanks
    mrochester
    Auto-renewal insurance policy cooling off period
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    Auto-renewal insurance policy cooling off period 2nd Dec 17 at 6:59 PM
    Hello

As per title, does an auto-renewed car insurance policy come with a fresh 14 day cooling off period?

Many thanks

M
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 2nd Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 11,060 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    You get a month renewal notice reminder, that should be enough time to find a better deal (if one exists) why wait until after the renewal date and cause yourself stress?
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 2nd Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    mrochester
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    You get a month renewal notice reminder, that should be enough time to find a better deal (if one exists) why wait until after the renewal date and cause yourself stress?
    Originally posted by DUTR
    Ideally my 82 year old aunt would have got in touch with me a month ago, but that wasn’t my question!
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 2nd Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 11,060 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    Ideally my 82 year old aunt would have got in touch with me a month ago, but that wasn’t my question!
    Originally posted by mrochester
    Well the cooling off period is often for new customer accounts.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 2nd Dec 17, 10:35 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:35 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:35 PM
    Bit of a grey area over whether it's a new contract or not. It might be classed as new if something was significantly different, otherwise likely not.

This is what Admiral have to say:-

'Just call our Renewals department and let them know if you don't want to renew. If you call us after the new period of insurance has started, we can still cancel the policy, although there will be a cancellation fee. If you cancel outside the 14 day cooling off period you will be charged for the days on cover.'

The others are probably similar.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 3rd Dec 17, 12:07 AM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:07 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:07 AM
    Bit of a grey area over whether it's a new contract or not. It might be classed as new if something was significantly different, otherwise likely not.

This is what Admiral have to say:-

'Just call our Renewals department and let them know if you don't want to renew. If you call us after the new period of insurance has started, we can still cancel the policy, although there will be a cancellation fee. If you cancel outside the 14 day cooling off period you will be charged for the days on cover.'

The others are probably similar.
    Originally posted by chrisw
    What Admiral says seems to reflect the legal position AIUI. It's a new contract.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

2,760Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin