Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sy8111
    • By sy8111 2nd Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sy8111
    Can I contribute more than £3600 in this case?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    Can I contribute more than £3600 in this case? 2nd Dec 17 at 6:45 PM
    If I don't have work but have income from dividend and rent and the total income is over £3600?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 89,840 Posts
    • 56,490 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    Do you own your rental properties through a limited company?

assuming not, then no you cannot.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • sy8111
    • By sy8111 2nd Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sy8111
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    Do you own your rental properties through a limited company?

assuming not, then no you cannot.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    What about dividend? Apart from rent of my own property I receive over 3600 dividend from a company I own 50% shares.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    They don't count for this purpose,

http://www.pruadviser.co.uk/content/knowledge/technical-centre/tax_relief_members_contributions/
    • JoeCrystal
    • By JoeCrystal 2nd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    JoeCrystal
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    Dividends are not relevant along with investment income and property rental income
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 2nd Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 23,611 Posts
    • 13,748 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    Dividends are not relevant along with investment income and property rental income

http://www.pruadviser.co.uk/content/knowledge/technical-centre/tax_relief_members_contributions/

rental income is generally not relevant earnings but some rental income may be included if it is in respect of UK or EEA furnished holiday lettings business
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    • 89,840 Posts
    • 56,490 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    What about dividend? Apart from rent of my own property I receive over 3600 dividend from a company I own 50% shares.
    Originally posted by sy8111
    Are you just a shareholder or do you hold an officer position?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • sy8111
    • By sy8111 2nd Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sy8111
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    Are you just a shareholder or do you hold an officer position?
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    officer position
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 89,840 Posts
    • 56,490 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    Shareholding directors can usually pay into the pension using company contributions upto the £40k allowance (and use carry forward if applicable). Depending on the nature of the limited company.

Why are you not taking a salary? Most directors will take a salary to the primary threshold. This qualifies you as if you have paid NI contributions but you don't actually pay a penny in NI. For things like state pension qualification, this can be important.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 3rd Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,827 Posts
    • 9,109 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    It has to be earned income. Is there a reason you are only taking dividends and not a salary? You should look into your NI contribution record as this will affect your state pension.
    2 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 4th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 3,500 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    It has to be earned income.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Not if you are a director.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter