Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kasia129
    • By kasia129 2nd Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kasia129
    Help to buy questions
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    Help to buy questions 2nd Dec 17 at 6:32 PM
    Hi, I'm looking into the Help to Buy scheme. I have two questions about it:
    1. Are you allowed to have a lodger? I know you can't sublet the whole flat but is renting out one bedroom, while still living in the flat seen differently?
    2. Are you allowed to make prepayments on your main mortgage (the one provided by the bank) ahead of staircasing the equity loan?

Thank you,
    Kate
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 2nd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 9,591 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    Having a lodger while you are living in the property is completely different to renting out the whole property.
    The government set up the rent a room scheme and have recently increased the amount you can earn Tax free to £7500.
    I would read all of the information you can find about Help To Buy

The Help to Buy loan is Interest free for 5 years so if you can overpay the Mortgage on the property you will pay down the Mortgage debt while increasing the equity.
    This will help in 5 years time if you are then looking at taking out a bigger mortgage to pay off the Help to Buy loan
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 36,208 Posts
    • 153,064 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    Hi, I'm looking into the Help to Buy scheme. I have two questions about it:
    1. Are you allowed to have a lodger? I know you can't sublet the whole flat but is renting out one bedroom, while still living in the flat seen differently?
    2. Are you allowed to make prepayments on your main mortgage (the one provided by the bank) ahead of staircasing the equity loan?

Thank you,
    Kate
    Originally posted by kasia129
    1. yes
    2. yes but you may be better off saving the money separately to pay down the equity loan after year 5 when the interest charges kick in.

You could reduce the mortgage from the bank, but you risk not being able to increase the mortgage when you need to eg if your salary drops or a lender judges the mortgage unaffordable or property prices fall to a level where a lender won't give you the amount you want.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

2,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin