Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andyca
    • By andyca 2nd Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 29Thanks
    andyca
    Future of light bulbs, B22 Bayonet or E27 Screw
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    Future of light bulbs, B22 Bayonet or E27 Screw 2nd Dec 17 at 5:51 PM
    I'm just updating my light bulbs to some new smart home bulbs so the house looks occupied while I'm away, and I can do some "smart lighting" routines like turning on the landing lights after my alarm goes off in the mornings etc.

I'm also looking at some new light fittings and I've noticed most in the big DIY stores are E27 Screw types rather than B22 Bayonet, which I currently have everywhere.

Does anyone know if there is an industry switch from B22 to E27 happening?
    Am I better off going for E27 bulbs and fittings to future proof the investment?

I know I can get a converter but I've looked at a few and they seem to be very flimsy and I'm not sure I'd trust the ones I've seenin a socket which will never be truly off.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 2nd Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 17,474 Posts
    • 11,701 Thanks
    molerat
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    E27 is the euro standard, B22 is the old British standard so of course E27 is taking over as it has a larger customer base.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 2nd Dec 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:55 PM
    E27 is the euro standard, B22 is the old British standard so of course E27 is taking over as it has a larger customer base.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Does Brexit mean we'll revert back to B22?
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 2nd Dec 17, 10:59 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:59 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:59 PM
    BC developed in the 1870’s vs ES in 1909

I think this one still has some way to run. Buy light fittings you like or lamps you like and find the other bit to match.
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 3rd Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:51 AM
    Originally posted by molerat
    I hope E27 replaces B22, just to reduce the size of my bag of spare bulbs. It currently contains bulbs with B22, E27, E14, B15, GU10, MR12 and G9 bases. Ikea now sell bulbs with GX53 bases, to add to the confusion.

On the subject of converters, the B22-to-E27 converters sold by Ikea seem quite sturdy.
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 3rd Dec 17, 9:07 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    tonygold
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:07 AM
    i work in the domestic lighting industry.
    nearly 99% of all lights are now manfuactured in china on a massive scale for worldwide distribution where nearly all countries now use E27 or E14 screw in light bulbs (lamps). i don't know of any being made now with BC or SBC lampholders so yes, screw in lamps will be the norm, going forward.

tbh it is far easier to locate a screw in lamp into a lampholder than the old bayonet ones used to be, what with lining up the prongs etc and the lamps tend to sit straighter in decorative fittings easier with screw in lampholders.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 13,252 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    That’s me stuffed then. I don’t think there is a single screw bulb in this house.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 3rd Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    Stuffed?
    Surely that should now be screwed, Gloomy?

Yes go for ES at every change....
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 4th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    I don't think BC22's are going anywhere in any of our lifetimes, so it is practically a non-issue.

Yes ES may take over eventually, but not in the next few months or years.
    • andyca
    • By andyca 4th Dec 17, 11:29 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    andyca
    Thanks all, I thought I could see a shift occurring. The energy saving bulbs I am replacing have been in there for nearly 10 years with I think only one failure due to a bathroom leak coming through the ceiling rose, we are redecorating and replacing the lampshades more often than the bulbs!

These new LED bulbs have an even longer service life so as long as the smart tech keeps working they'll probably outlast a few more household style changes. I've decided since the bulbs are £15-40 each and a replacement E27/ES pendant is around £2 i'm replacing all the fittings I can.

Getting screwed now to avoid getting screwed in the future.
    Thanks for all your replies!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,662Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin