Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hardup49
    • By Hardup49 2nd Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hardup49
    Are these Spam or not?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    Are these Spam or not? 2nd Dec 17 at 5:44 PM
    I read somewhere - possibly in connection with MSE - that email messages where the email address contains loads of numbers are actually spam or worse. I knew that those with random letters and rambling long names are not to be trusted but I regularly receive emails from organisations I subscribe to - reputable department stores and TV media for example - and yet I get emails from them that end up in my Spam folder and sometimes my Inbox which have email addresses full of lots of numbers and I notice that some of the addresses end with the word 'local'. Can these be trusted or not? Thanks.
Page 1
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 2nd Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    If it's recognised email then maybe give them a pointer to use blind carbon copy as they are posting the email subscriber list.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 2nd Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    Anybody can create an email address to be pretty much anything that they want.
    Usually people choose relevant names.

Ones with lots of seemingly random characters are usually robot generated and so yes, more likely to be spam.

But spam is unwanted email , so only you can say for sure if they are spam or not
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Hardup49
    • By Hardup49 2nd Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hardup49
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    Thanks for this suggestion
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    If it's recognised email then maybe give them a pointer to use blind carbon copy as they are posting the email subscriber list.
    Originally posted by jshm2
    This sounds like a good idea so I will look into it and give it a try.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin