Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicos42
    • By nicos42 2nd Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 2Thanks
    nicos42
    To change solicitors? This timescale acceptable?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    To change solicitors? This timescale acceptable? 2nd Dec 17 at 5:22 PM
    Hi first time buyer and I found the process of buying awful. Most stressful thing. After bad survey we renegotiated the price and I m happy. Now my solicitor is playing up. They are very cheap for legal services.
    They have all the searches back, vendor contract and title deeds... Solicitor is telling me she is going on holiday and they work on a first come first serve basis and is unlikely she Ll get to do the legal work until January and even than I have six people in front ....
    It sound very unnecessary and when I instructed them they told me someone will cover her absence. I confronted them and they keep telling me for the price I pay etc... but price no price if they accepted my cash they should provide me with the service in timely fashion.
    So I m trying to find a new firm and get documents transferred. Is that a bad idea? All other solicitors said even with complicated contracts it should not take weeks of waiting.
    I don't want to loose the house as the vendors are becoming impatient and rightly so
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 2nd Dec 17, 5:53 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:53 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:53 PM
    When was your offer accepted?
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 2nd Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    What do the terms and conditions for your current solicitors say about what you will be charged if you break the agreement you have with them to appoint another?

You may end up being charged twice. My buyer was when he was forced to change solicitors part way through the buying process. For example, all the searches had to be redone.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • G_M
    • By G_M 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 42,280 Posts
    • 49,125 Thanks
    G_M
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    To avoid being charged twice, you'll need to prove that you instructed them on the understanding that holiday absence would be covered. If you can show that, then you at least have an argument that you are changing solicitor because they have broken that agreement.

What timescales are you working to? If you wait and the legals are done in early Jan, will that delay things? Or are you in a chain which may not complete til Jan anyway?

Moral ere, for you and others? Cheap online conveyancig is fine when it all goes smoothly, but can lead to problems. When issues arise, you cannot beat the ability to go into the loccal office and sort things out face to face.
    • alchemist.1
    • By alchemist.1 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 AM
    • 856 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    alchemist.1
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 AM
    Realistically, by the time you transfer the papers to another firm, retainers signed, new handler dealing with the matter upto date with everything it will be January anyway. That isnt taking into account the holiday period (some smaller firms close for a few weeks between Xmas and New Year).

That isnt taking into the the solicitors for the buyers being available during the next couple of weeks and ready to exchange and complete.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 36,205 Posts
    • 153,042 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    Ask for details of their official complaints procedure - all legal firms have to have one.

At worst it will focus minds.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 3rd Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:05 PM
    It doesn't sound like you have instructed solicitors. You've instructed cheap licensed conveyancers. They are not a legal firm and not regulated by the SRA.

I would push your conveyancer a bit harder. Explain that it is essential for the work to be done more quickly or the sale will fall through, and refer to what you were told when you instructed them.
    • macman
    • By macman 3rd Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    Unless this is a one-person company, complain in writing to the managing partner.
    As above, solicitors have to follow professional standards, licenced conveyancers do not.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 56,213 Posts
    • 49,596 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    Now my solicitor is playing up. They are very cheap for legal services.
    Originally posted by nicos42
    Timeline would be usefull. What is cheap?

Difficult to tell from your comments if in fact you've upset someone. As that's an alternative view of reading what you've written.

if they accepted my cash they should provide me with the service in timely fashion.
    Nor are you there only client.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 4th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 3,143 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Now my solicitor is playing up. They are very cheap for legal services.
    Originally posted by nicos42
    • good
    • fast
    • cheap

pick 2....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter