Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cswizard
    • By cswizard 2nd Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    cswizard
    Please Help Me - Car hit into me and drove off
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    Please Help Me - Car hit into me and drove off 2nd Dec 17 at 4:40 PM
    Hello everybody, hope you are all well…

I am here asking for urgent advice about an incident which happened yesterday evening.

I was turning out of a side road and indicating right to turn right onto the main road.
    Below is a picture of the road and the blue box is the position of where my car was getting ready to turn right onto the main road.
    The red box is where another car was parked (which was actually on the double yellow lines)
    That car was facing the same direction as the silver Mercedes in front (which is parked on the side)

The driver of that car decided to reverse his car (without even looking or paying attention to what was behind him) and he managed to go straight into the passenger rear end of my car (by the fuel cap)

So I believe that the left rear end of that car is what was partially damaged as it hit into my passenger rear side.

I have never ever been in an accident before, and kind of panicked and was a bit shocked when I felt a thud. I immediately got out my car as did the other cars passengers. In that car there was a female passenger and she just kept saying “omg we are so sorry we are so sorry we didn’t see you when reversing”. The male driver looked rough and very dodgy and he didn’t say anything.

As cars started building up behind my car which also wanted to turn off onto the main road, and cars from the main road wanted to turn onto this side road, there was a build up around us which kind of made me panic.
    As I had never been in this situation, I made a major error and I did not start video recording the lady admitting it is their fault, nor did I immediately take pictures at the scene of where their car was positioned to support how it reversed into me etc.
    I basically froze when confronting them, and instead we agreed that they wait where they are on that side of the road, and because my car is blocking the road, I would turn my car around and we would exchange details on the side of the road.

I made a silly mistake by allowing the car out of my sight while I was turning around to go back to it, and to my horror, the car had gone!!

I understand I have made an error and should never have allowed the car a chance to go, however I genuinely thought as the lady seemed fine that it wouldn’t have gone. As I have never been in this position before, I panicked and wasn’t sure what to do, and I suffer from anxiety so with all the cars behind and in front (not even giving a dam about what had happened) I just panicked and thought I better stop this congestion and just park up at the side with the car.

Below is some pictures of the damage caused to my car, which you can clearly see a large dent by the fuel cap.

I looked on the corner of this road for CCTV and asked some shops, and there is no CCTV there?? My dad went to ask around today and still couldn’t find any CCTV so now I am wondering if there is anything that can be done??

The insurance is under my dad’s name and I am a named driver on there. The excess says for accidental damage is £400 however I am unsure how this works as is this classed as accidental damage when it was the driver who caused this??
    Our yearly insurance is only around £350 as we have 10 years no claims, I need to check if this is protected on this policy however I just wanted to ask anybody who can help of my options now??

If I claim, for starters I would need concrete evidence of the incident wouldn’t I? For example, CCTV of the car reversing into mine?
    Also, if I claimed I would need the reg of the car or the drivers details I am guessing??

I haven’t got the reg of the car, nor the drivers details, and CCTV may be difficult if no shops are willing to provide this, so then I am thinking my case is not looking good at all?
    Also, this car is old now, and even without the damage it is not worth even £700 if I were to have sold it. I was looking to buy a new car soon anyway so would it be a case of just not bothering to claim??

I was under the impression that unless you have sufficient evidence (CCTV, photos at scene of accident, video evidence, driver details and reg of car to track the driver down) then if you make a claim, it would go against you.

For example, if I make a claim, I am led to believe this will automatically be recorded on the records and will affect further premiums from any company, even if I won the claim???
    Also, based on no evidence, this would mean we have to pay the excess of 300 – 400 which wouldn’t be worth it when the car is of no value anyway??

I understand you have to report any accidents, so I just wanted to know what my best options are because I am totally confused as to what to do.

Thank you for listening
Page 1
    • cswizard
    • By cswizard 2nd Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cswizard
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    Sorry, I have tried uploading the photos but its not allowing me, any ideas how i can upload, I have tried with tinypic and pasted the Direct link code into my messages but it says cannot post links due to spam or something??
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 2nd Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    post a link from google maps if it is still accurate
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 2nd Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    Hello everybody, hope you are all well…

I am here asking for urgent advice about an incident which happened yesterday evening.

I was turning out of a side road and indicating right to turn right onto the main road.
    Below is a picture of the road and the blue box is the position of where my car was getting ready to turn right onto the main road.
    The red box is where another car was parked (which was actually on the double yellow lines)
    That car was facing the same direction as the silver Mercedes in front (which is parked on the side)

The driver of that car decided to reverse his car (without even looking or paying attention to what was behind him) and he managed to go straight into the passenger rear end of my car (by the fuel cap)

So I believe that the left rear end of that car is what was partially damaged as it hit into my passenger rear side.

I have never ever been in an accident before, and kind of panicked and was a bit shocked when I felt a thud. I immediately got out my car as did the other cars passengers. In that car there was a female passenger and she just kept saying “omg we are so sorry we are so sorry we didn’t see you when reversing”. The male driver looked rough and very dodgy and he didn’t say anything.

As cars started building up behind my car which also wanted to turn off onto the main road, and cars from the main road wanted to turn onto this side road, there was a build up around us which kind of made me panic.
    As I had never been in this situation, I made a major error and I did not start video recording the lady admitting it is their fault, nor did I immediately take pictures at the scene of where their car was positioned to support how it reversed into me etc.
    I basically froze when confronting them, and instead we agreed that they wait where they are on that side of the road, and because my car is blocking the road, I would turn my car around and we would exchange details on the side of the road.

I made a silly mistake by allowing the car out of my sight while I was turning around to go back to it, and to my horror, the car had gone!!

I understand I have made an error and should never have allowed the car a chance to go, however I genuinely thought as the lady seemed fine that it wouldn’t have gone. As I have never been in this position before, I panicked and wasn’t sure what to do, and I suffer from anxiety so with all the cars behind and in front (not even giving a dam about what had happened) I just panicked and thought I better stop this congestion and just park up at the side with the car.

Below is some pictures of the damage caused to my car, which you can clearly see a large dent by the fuel cap.

I looked on the corner of this road for CCTV and asked some shops, and there is no CCTV there?? My dad went to ask around today and still couldn’t find any CCTV so now I am wondering if there is anything that can be done??

The insurance is under my dad’s name and I am a named driver on there. The excess says for accidental damage is £400 however I am unsure how this works as is this classed as accidental damage when it was the driver who caused this??
    Our yearly insurance is only around £350 as we have 10 years no claims, I need to check if this is protected on this policy however I just wanted to ask anybody who can help of my options now??

If I claim, for starters I would need concrete evidence of the incident wouldn’t I? For example, CCTV of the car reversing into mine?
    Also, if I claimed I would need the reg of the car or the drivers details I am guessing??

I haven’t got the reg of the car, nor the drivers details, and CCTV may be difficult if no shops are willing to provide this, so then I am thinking my case is not looking good at all?
    Also, this car is old now, and even without the damage it is not worth even £700 if I were to have sold it. I was looking to buy a new car soon anyway so would it be a case of just not bothering to claim??

I was under the impression that unless you have sufficient evidence (CCTV, photos at scene of accident, video evidence, driver details and reg of car to track the driver down) then if you make a claim, it would go against you.

For example, if I make a claim, I am led to believe this will automatically be recorded on the records and will affect further premiums from any company, even if I won the claim???
    Also, based on no evidence, this would mean we have to pay the excess of 300 – 400 which wouldn’t be worth it when the car is of no value anyway??

I understand you have to report any accidents, so I just wanted to know what my best options are because I am totally confused as to what to do.

Thank you for listening
    Originally posted by cswizard
    The bits in bold jump out at me. Why would you sell your dads car?

Who is the main driver of this car, and who paid for it and is the registered keeper? And is the same information declared to the insurer?
    I ask as it sounds like a case of fronting, from the limited info provided.

Regarding your accident, unless you trace the TP and claim directly off their insurance (assuming their insurer admits full liability), then any claim you make would have to be against your dads policy and would count as a 'fault' claim.
    • cswizard
    • By cswizard 2nd Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cswizard
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    The car is registered to my dad, i paid for it around 7 years ago...
    I mainly drive it, however he does at times, but has a new car now.
    • cswizard
    • By cswizard 2nd Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cswizard
    So how could i post photos up please??
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 2nd Dec 17, 5:13 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:13 PM

So you aren't named as main driver, yet are the main driver, that's fronting and Illegal
    • cswizard
    • By cswizard 2nd Dec 17, 5:20 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cswizard
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:20 PM
    Oh ok... Didnt realise its illegal to be a named driver on my dads insurance policy?!!!!
    • cswizard
    • By cswizard 2nd Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cswizard
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    Sorry, i didnt count the number of days I drove the car compared to my dad! I'l start making a tally of it for future reference.

Thats the problem with these forums, you ask for genuine help but instead you get shot down by people who seem to know your whole life story and circumstances!! If you cant offer any constructive advice its best you just dont post thanks.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 2nd Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Oh ok... Didnt realise its illegal to be a named driver on my dads insurance policy?!!!!
    it is if as you put it you "mainly drive it" and he has another car

whether you like it or not it is useful advice because if you phone your insurance to make a claim and tell them what you have posted here you could end up in serious trouble
    • cswizard
    • By cswizard 2nd Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cswizard
    Fair enough, point taken but no, we both drive it. I couldn't specify to be exact who drives it more, however I have been driving for 8 years now with no claims since starting and I am over 31 years old so its not a case of using parents details to lower premium
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 2nd Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Blibble
    Yes, you could and have specified who drives the vehicle more.

Sort out the fronting issue before anything else. It won't just impact your motor premiums, but your home insurance and other premiums as well and may also impact your Dad's if they ask whether a named driver has ever had insurance cancelled / refused etc.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 3rd Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    Before thinking about claiming you need to sort out the policy in the first instance.

You need to tell the insurer that you own the vehicle and are the main driver. From the OP I can see that it is YOUR car, and YOU are the main driver. I can't see how your grandad would be the main driver when he has his own car.

If you are the main driver (which sounds as if you are, if he has another car that he usually uses) the insurer will need to re-price the policy based on YOUR risk level, and not your grandads, which could result in a higher premium.

That said, they may decide to void the policy altogether - meaning you won't be able to claim on the policy anyway.

If they only charge a higher premium, you will be able to claim. You will have to pay your £400 excess if you claim. IF you're not at fault then you will be able to claim the excess back from the third parties insurers - which it seems you'll struggle to do without the driver or vehicle details.
    Last edited by FutureGirl; 03-12-2017 at 3:10 PM.
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 3rd Dec 17, 4:17 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    tberry6686
    If the car is still roadworthy then at the age and value of the car I wouldn't bother claiming. If you do claim there is a strong chance it would be a right off meaning (with your exess you would get about £300 for it). Would you be able to replace the car for that. With potential fronting being an issue (whether deliberate or not) it doesn't make any real sense to claim.

I suggest sorting out the main driver/owner insurance issue and put the rest down to experience. No point in risking an insurance cancellation (which will result in increased premiums for a long time to come and a possible Cifas marker).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,346Posts Today

8,115Users online

Martin's Twitter