Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 2nd Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    • 9,416Posts
    • 17,125Thanks
    Pennywise
    Fed up of buyers not reading listings
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    Fed up of buyers not reading listings 2nd Dec 17 at 4:13 PM
    I've had 3 large/heavy items on Ebay. Listed as collection only, which is also written in the description.

All 3 have been sold to various people, all with delivery addresses hundreds of miles away.

All 3 have now been cancelled once I contacted the buyer to tell them it's collection only - all of them replied saying they hadn't read the listing properly.

It's a real pain as they now have to be cancelled/refunded and relisted.

Are people really that stupid not to read listings properly and not to realise that large/heavy items can't be posted second class in a jiffy bag!
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 2nd Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 59,574 Posts
    • 42,280 Thanks
    soolin
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    I've had 3 large/heavy items on Ebay. Listed as collection only, which is also written in the description.

All 3 have been sold to various people, all with delivery addresses hundreds of miles away.

All 3 have now been cancelled once I contacted the buyer to tell them it's collection only - all of them replied saying they hadn't read the listing properly.

It's a real pain as they now have to be cancelled/refunded and relisted.

Are people really that stupid not to read listings properly and not to realise that large/heavy items can't be posted second class in a jiffy bag!
    Originally posted by Pennywise
    Have you checked your listing to make sure you had removed the postage option and opted for collection only? So many sellers don't realise they need to do that and leave some mention of postage in the listing tool.

If you have removed all the postage options and clicked the 'collection only' box on the drop down menu then it shows clearly for the buyer. Unfortunately on many mobile devices the item description disappears and buyers can't read much at all.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 2nd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 9,416 Posts
    • 17,125 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    Have you checked your listing to make sure you had removed the postage option and opted for collection only? So many sellers don't realise they need to do that and leave some mention of postage in the listing tool.

If you have removed all the postage options and clicked the 'collection only' box on the drop down menu then it shows clearly for the buyer. Unfortunately on many mobile devices the item description disappears and buyers can't read much at all.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Yep, "collection only" box was ticked.
    • kalsha
    • By kalsha 2nd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    kalsha
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    I have the same problem every time.

All my listings have "Collection only" in title.
    Then in the body of the description, I start by "This is a collection only item.........." in a slightly bigger font, followed by the description. I also mention that I would prefer payment on collection after you have inspected and are happy with the item.

If they are local and are going to collect, fine. Once they win, I always send a message asking to get in touch with me to arrange suitable time and also mention that cash payment is preferred. That message is always followed straight away by payment by paypal!!! I just can't win!
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 2nd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:28 PM

Then in the body of the description, I start by "This is a collection only item.........." in a slightly bigger font, followed by the description. I also mention that I would prefer payment on collection after you have inspected and are happy with the item.

If they are local and are going to collect, fine. Once they win, I always send a message asking to get in touch with me to arrange suitable time and also mention that cash payment is preferred. That message is always followed straight away by payment by paypal!!! I just can't win!
    Originally posted by kalsha
    Nor can the buyer....My next door neighbour is a builder and from time to time buys 'heavy, collection only' items on ebay. On more than one occasion he has turned up (by arrangement with the seller, carrying cash as requested) and found that the item is no longer available for collection....a problem which went away completely if he paid by Paypal as soon as he won the item.
    • in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 3rd Dec 17, 9:19 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:19 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:19 PM
    The last time I sold something collection only I put it in big red capitals. If they didn't see then there truly is no hope.

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 3rd Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 19,807 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    I sold a collection only item that was bought by someone 200 miles away. I explained it was collection only and we mutually cancelled, got the fees refunded and relisted and then he bought it again

The whole process wasn't helped by the fact all his messages were in Slovak, luckily so was his neutral feedback.
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 4th Dec 17, 10:22 AM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:22 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:22 AM
    all his messages were in Slovak

"Collection Only" in Slovak translates to... "Highly Collectable"... I'm only kidding.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 4th Dec 17, 3:17 PM
    • 8,756 Posts
    • 54,288 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:17 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:17 PM

Originally posted by kalsha

I often wonder if you mark the item as paid then would that stop them paying for it. You'd have to be quick tho.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 59,574 Posts
    • 42,280 Thanks
    soolin
    I often wonder if you mark the item as paid then would that stop them paying for it. You'd have to be quick tho.
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    Nope, it should still be possible to pay.

We must remember that for every buyer that can't read there is as many sellers who can't read the terms and conditions that state paypal 'must be offered' on all listings except the motor vehicles one.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter