Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newbridge
    • By newbridge 2nd Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 13Thanks
    newbridge
    long cracks in plaster... is it subsidence?
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    long cracks in plaster... is it subsidence? 2nd Dec 17 at 2:56 PM
    Dear DIYers,
    Just found huge cracks going across the ceiling and side wall in room. worries whether it is subsidence or just normal.

- room was skimmed before 1 year. Over a mixture of brick wall and stud(lath plaster).
    - When moving furniture a dent was made in the lath wall but no cracks.
    - after 2 months found these long cracks seems to be emanating from the dent.

Have never seen anything like this before.Especially being a recently skimmed wall. What is happening in your view and how should i fix them. Thank you!

Deposit: 25000!!/15000 Homeowner
    quidco cashbacks- 1101.81
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 2nd Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    Why was it reskimmed?
    • newbridge
    • By newbridge 2nd Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    newbridge
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    Why was it reskimmed?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    It had layers of wallpaper on wall, which were removed and the ceiling had artex. So give it a modern look and able to paint, builder suggested to reskimming
    Deposit: 25000!!/15000 Homeowner
    quidco cashbacks- 1101.81
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 2nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 2,901 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    Just hazarding a guess but it’s lossible that when the wall was dented the lath and plaster behind was dislodged, or one of the laths popped slightly. If the plaster was old it could have blown and weakened the skim.

I wouldn’t have thought it’s subsidence, but keep an eye on it.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 2nd Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    The fact the cracks converge at the point the plaster was damaged would make me think it's the cause.

They look like hairline cracks so i wouldn't worry about at present, but you could always take a few photos with a ruler in shot to record their width for monitoring. For subsidence I think you'd generally be expecting bigger cracks and cracks starting around door and window frames. You'd also see cracks or movement on the exterior brickwork.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 2nd Dec 17, 10:41 PM
    • 24,048 Posts
    • 66,630 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:41 PM
    I suspect it’s blown plaster skim as well as teh cycling Programmer.

Knock on it. Hollow?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 3rd Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    Skimming with gypsum plaster (usually the pink/brown stuff) over old lime plaster is never a good idea. Lime plaster tends to be much softer and flexes as a building moves - A key point in timber framed & cob construction (there are other advantages to using lime as well).

Gypsum plasters on the other hand are much harder and less forgiving if the supporting structure moves (either through settlement or thermal contraction & expansion). I note that at least one of these cracks is just above a radiator - The ding in the wall was probably the trigger point and the heat from the radiator has aggravated the situation.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,986Posts Today

10,224Users online

Martin's Twitter