Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aj9648
    • By aj9648 2nd Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,106Posts
    • 99Thanks
    aj9648
    30 hours child care - help with calcs!!
    • 2nd Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    30 hours child care - help with calcs!! 2nd Dec 17 at 2:22 PM
    Hi

Iím trying to figure out how this 30 hours free childcare works. My dd is signed and got a letter saying funding starts on the 8th jan and finished 27th July

The nursery are saying the cost will now be £52. The current cost I pay is £146.25 for 3days childcare. The funding is stretched over the year to provide a more consistent level of fees.

Iím struggling to reconcile the numbers. Before I send a stroppy email to nursery can anyone help me with the calcs as Iím unsure of how itís worked out.

Thanks
Page 1
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 2nd Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 7,404 Posts
    • 15,883 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    My understanding is that the free childcare is termtime only, so if your child is in nursery for a week in February half term, two weeks at Easter, and 1-2 weeks at Whit, you will need to pay. I know that some nurseries work it out so that you pay the same amount each week/month, rather than face bigger bills during school holidays.

You could email the nursery and politely ask that they provide a breakdown of how the fees have been worked out - no need for stroppiness.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 2nd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    If it’s split over the year rather than just term time then it’s 22 hours free per week. Might be easier to work out the hourly cost.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 2nd Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    Why a stroppy email because you don't understand the charges?

You just to ask then to clarify how the figure is arrived at.

Free child care does not cover 'extras' such as nappies, snacks, drinks, meals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,042Posts Today

7,655Users online

Martin's Twitter